January 26, 2024
From Ms. O's Desk
Dear Quetzal Families,
As we navigate through another exciting week at Mistral, I am eager to share thoughts on a timeless virtue that holds immeasurable power in shaping our lives and the world around us: kindness.
Kindness is not just a fleeting gesture; it is a way of life, a force that transcends boundaries and creates ripples of positivity in every corner of our existence. As we continue to nurture the growth of our students, both academically and personally, it is imperative that we emphasize the importance of kindness as an integral aspect of their character development.
In a world that can often be challenging, acts of kindness serve as beacons of light, illuminating the path to a more compassionate and harmonious society. As parents, educators, and community members, we have the unique opportunity to instill in our students the values that will shape them into empathetic and responsible citizens.
Here are a few simple yet impactful acts of kindness that our students can actively engage in:
- Thank You Cards: Help your child create handmade thank-you cards for their teachers, friends, principal, or family members. Expressing gratitude fosters a sense of appreciation.
- Share a Smile: Teach your child the power of a simple smile. Encourage them to smile at classmates, neighbors, and even strangers. A smile can brighten someone's day.
- Helping Hand: Encourage your child to lend a helping hand at home by assisting with chores, setting the table, or helping a sibling with their homework. Small acts of assistance show kindness within the family.
- Compliment Day: Designate a day where your child gives compliments to friends, family, and even strangers. This can be a verbal compliment or a note expressing something positive about the other person.
- Donate Toys or Clothes: Involve your child in the process of decluttering their belongings and donating toys or clothes they no longer use to those in need. This teaches generosity and empathy.
- Apologize and Forgive: Teach your child the importance of apologizing when they make a mistake. Additionally, encourage them to forgive others and move forward positively.
- Collect Donations: Guide your child in collecting items like canned goods, clothes, or blankets for a local charity or homeless shelter. This teaches the value of giving back to the community.
By incorporating these practices into our daily lives, we sow the seeds of compassion and empathy that will undoubtedly blossom into a future of understanding and unity. Let us continue to work together to create an environment where kindness is not just a concept but a way of life. Thank you for your ongoing support in fostering a culture of kindness at Gabriela Mistral.
We would love to see you at our In Person Cafecito with Dr. Rudolph:
Date: January 29, 2024
Location: Mistral/Castro's MUR-Cafeteria
Remember to take time this weekend to reenroll your child at Mistral for our next school year, and don't forget to advertise our amazing Dual Immersion School to your friends, families, and colleagues. We are already looking for our next school year!
With warm regards,
Claudia Olaciregui, Principal
- Cafecito with Superintendent Rudolph @ 5:30pm in person at CA/MI MUR
- PTA General Meeting @ 6pm
- Spirit Day - Wear Favorite Book Character
- ELAC Meeting @ 5pm
- End of 2nd Trimester - Minimum Day Dismissal @ 12:10pm
- Winter Break- No School
The Board of Trustees will meet on Thursday, Jan. 25 at 6:00 p.m.
Some of the topics include:
* Black History Month Resolution
* i-Ready Diagnostic 2 Assessment Update
* Artificial Intelligence (AI) Impact on Our Schools
For meeting details and agenda, please click here: https://www.mvwsd.org/trustees.
Student enrollment in MVWSD for next year is open now!
Enrollment for next fall for all students in the Mountain View Whisman School District is open now at www.mvwsd.org/register.
For CURRENT students in transitional kindergarten-7th grade: Parents, click on the link in your email to confirm enrollment before February 9.
For families enrolling NEW students, please prepare to register your student:
Learn more about the documents you’ll need. Click here for the video. Please check www.mvwsd.org/register to locate your neighborhood school, how to explore school options and the four steps to register before February 9.
Do you need in-person help to register your child? Sign up at http://mvw.sd/help and attend any of the help sessions:
Castro Elementary, January 24 @ 5-7 p.m. and January 30 @ 5-7 p.m.
Jose Antonio Vargas Elementary, January 31 @ 5-7 p.m.
Theuerkauf Elementary, February 1 @ 5-7 p.m.
The District is beginning its annual process of updating the LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan)
This input collected will guide the update of our District plan for the 2024-25 school year. Look for a meeting at your school to learn more about the LCAP process.
Please click on your unique survey link sent to your email on Jan. 29. Your responses are confidential. Students in grades 4-8 will also be taking the LCAP survey. More information found here: mvwsd.org/LCAP
Better Together: January
“There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Sometimes, being a good ally might mean standing up to our friends to protect someone else. In the month of January, MVWSD students will explore the essential question: How do I have a difficult conversation with someone? A thoughtful ally finds a way to express themselves respectfully and with an open mind. For more information about Better Together, visit mvwsd.org/BetterTogetherMVWSD.
SAVE THE DATE for the MVEF Gala
MVEF will hold its Annual Fundraising Gala on Saturday, April 27, 2024. The MVEF Gala is an opportunity for parents, teachers, business leaders and community members to come together to support local schools. Come be part of an awesome community building evening with dinner, fundraising activities, music and fun! Save the date Saturday, April 27 in Mountain View. Tickets go on sale soon.