By: Kirsten Massaviol
We are all human on the inside!
A brief overview...
The overall vote
34% of people said that citizenship should be easier, while the other 66% disagreed.
Completely differing from the actual vote, the majority of people, 57%, said they felt sympathetic for the immigrants, while the others still had their noses turned up at them.
The story of Leo Manzano
Leo Manzano sprinted the final straight of the 1500 meters, to go from sixth place to second, and become the first U.S. Olympic medalist at this event since Jim Ryun in 1968. Leo was born in Mexico, he moved with his family to Texas at the age of 4. This is when he first started running. His father had supported the family as a migrant worker, illegally crossing the border, quite often, to find jobs. Leo later became a U.S. citizen in 2004.
- Many people believe that the illegal immigrants that are already in the US should not be rewarded with a citizenship.
- Financial experts are worried that if a bill is passed, more people will move to the US, draining the resources.
- Reform could raise GDP by $1,500 per person and reduce the debt by $2.5 trillion.
- With immigration reform, we could have the families that were separated by deportation be reunited again.
- Once they become citizens they can be treated fairly again. They would not have to be paid near to nothing to mow a lawn anymore, because they can't be taken advantage of anymore, the law is on their side.
In the future, the government could create an easier way for people in foreign countries to legally enter and become citizens easier.