Second Grade Newsletter
Mrs. Barita, Mrs. Carrasco, Mrs. Kulesza
*Monday, May 2nd will be "Day 6 " for Encore*
Lifework-Week of May 2-6, 2016
- Monday: Read & log 10 minutes, 10 minutes on IXL (focus on adding 2-digits, subtracting 2-digits or estimating and rounding)
- Tuesday: Read & log, Spelling-Rainbow Style-3 colors
- Wednesday: Read & log, Spelling-ABC order
- Thursday: Read & log, Spelling-Write each word 3 times-test tomorrow
- Weekend: Read & log your Life Cycle Study Guide
Our next unit in science will be Life Cycles. Key Concepts:
- Life Cycle of a butterfly
- Life Cycle of a frog
- Life Cycle of a white-tailed deer
- Life Cycle of a flowering plant
*The Life Cycle test will be on Friday, May 13th. Watch for the study guide to come home on Friday, May 6th
Our current unit in math is Unit 9 Number Sense and Computation-Part 5. Key concepts:
- Create and solve story problems
- Addition and subtraction of 2-digit numbers (with regrouping)
- Estimating sums and differences
- Count and compare a collection of coins (up to $2.00)
Spelling Words-Test 5/6/16
Spring Fling Baskets
Over the past few years, our PTO has funded many items to improve our students’ learning, including subscriptions to online programs, projectors for the Smart Boards, field trips and more. One of the biggest fundraising events of the school year is the Spring Fling. Each class puts together a themed gift basket to be auctioned off during the fling. These baskets are amazing and elaborate, and raise a ton of money for the school! We are once again asking for your help with class baskets. Our themes are as follows:
Mrs. Barita-"Spa-Tacular" spa/pampering items
Mrs. Carrasco-"Labor of Love" baby items
Mrs. Kulesza-"Clean House" cleaning supplies
PTO needs many volunteers to make the festival successful! Please use the signup if you can help. Thank you in advance for supporting this fun and worthwhile event!
Transition to Third Grade Night is coming up!
The third grade team would like to invite all second grade parents to attend an upcoming informational night. Parents of rising third graders are strongly encouraged to attend.
When: June 1, 2016
Where: Pennington Cafeteria
Time: 6:30-7:30 pm
- 5/3-Individual & Class Picture Day
- 5/16-PTO Meeting & Elections-7p.m.
- 5/21-PTO Spring Festival 10a.m.-2p.m.
- 5/23-Advisory Council-6p.m.
- 5/27-Interims go home
- 5/30-NO SCHOOL-Memorial Day Holiday
- 5/31-Students community service hours due
I have a little shadow
that goes in and out with me.
And what can be the use of him
is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me
from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me,
when I jump into my bed.
The funniest thing about him
is the way he likes to grow-
Not at all like proper children,
which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller
like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes goes so little
that there’s none of him at all.
By: Robert Louis Stevenson
Barita: Library, Music, PE, Art, PLTW, PE
Carrasco: Music, PE, Art, PLTW, PE, Library
Kulesza: PE, Art, PLTW, PE, Library, Music