Cerebral palsy is a disorder that can either occurs before or during a child's birth, or from when they are born to age five. Cerebral palsy affects movement, motor skills, and muscle tone.
- Unusual crawling
- Abnormal muscle tone
- Difficulty feeding & sucking
- Involuntary slow writing movements
- Lies down in awkward positions
- Problems with eyesight
- Range of movement is limited
The mother should do the following while pregnant:
- Be up-to-date on all vaccinations
- Go to all antenatal appointments
- Do not smoke or drink while pregnant
- Eat and exercise regularly
In the medical feild
- Scientists have not come up with a surgery yet.
- Physical and speech therapy
Types of Cerebral palsy
1. Ataxic cerebral palsy-
Causes a bad sense of..
Ataxic: The child will have a hard time with depth perception; such as, if you hold your finger up and tell them to touch it, they will most likely miss your finger the first time they try.
2. Spastic cerebral palsy
Stiffness & movement
- Tension in the muscles=difficulty moving
Affects everyone differently
3. Athetoid cerebral palsy
- Damage to the basal ganglia- mid-brain
Athetoid: Causes uncontrolled movements, which are controlled when they are completely relaxed and sometimes only when they are sleeping.
-Usually affects hands, feet, arms, or legs, and sometimes the face and tongue.