Week of July 5, 2021
Happy July Westside Families! We hope you had a fun and safe holiday weekend. We sure do miss all the smiling faces, and look forward to seeing them again soon.
Have you been doing the Summer Book Reading Challenge? It's not too late to join! Remember, students have access to hundreds of FREE online books on the SORA app on their Launchpad. Click the link to track their reading: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRn50dTs-lPhX2q71AmSHUgd9fubw6SULhk7xL9SywwjpLxA/viewform
Reminder our summer office hours are 7:00a-3:30p Monday-Friday. You can call or come in to register new students or complete registration of returning students.
Are you linked to our Facebook page? It is a great place to keep in touch over the summer and during the school year. Search for Westside Elementary OR click the Facebook link at the bottom of the newsletter. Coming soon is our NEW Instagram page!
Please see important dates below for our Registration Days and Meet the Teacher event for the upcoming school year!
~Mrs. Stephanie Woodbury, Principal
Our Staff's Summer Adventures!
Save The Date!!
- July 26th- Rising 1st & 2nd graders Registration 7:00a-4:00p
- July 27th- Rising 3rd & 4th graders Registration 7:00a-4:00p
- July 28th- Rising 5th & 6th graders Registration 7:00a-4:00p
- July 29th- New Kindergarten Registration 7:00a-4:00p
- July 30th- Make Up Registration 7:00a-4:00p
**If you have multiple students at Westside,
you will be able to register all children on the same day.**
All Westside students must have a registering parent in attendance please, even if pre-registered in the spring or summer. This event allows us to confirm accurate parent contact information and transportation for students. Teacher assignments will also be provided.
If you have not pre-registered your student(s), we encourage you to do so over the summer. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. to accept registrations. Mrs. Robin Stahl, our clerk, will be happy to assist you. All students must re-register each year. Early registration helps us develop our staffing plan and allows us to plan for the arrival of our Explorers! Thank you for your support with early registration.
The registering parent/legal guardian are required to provide two (2) forms of verification of residence at registration each year. Proof of your residence with one (1) of the following from each tier:
- Current driver license (F.S. 322.19(2)) requires that you update your address information on your driver's license within 10 days of moving.
- Current Purchase Contract (with expected closing date within 90 days of school) or Warranty Deed.
- Lease/Rental Agreement with your name as the renter.
- Current utility statement within the last 30-45 days.
- Florida Voter Registration Card.
- Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
- A utility hook-up or work order dated within 60 days.
- Medical or health card with address listed.
- Current homeowner's insurance policy or bill.
- Current automobile insurance policy or bill.
- A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail.
For families who may be sharing housing by choice, there is a Shared Tenancy Affidavit that must be completed for the student to enroll and register in school. For students who may be living temporarily with another family, the in loco parentis forms has been updated to reflect a maximum of 30 days. The form may not be used in lieu of the district's ELO and EPO request process to gain admittance into a school outside the student's zoned school.
Questions? Call our Front Office Monday-Friday, 7:00a-3:30p, at (321) 956-5050.
Meet the Teacher & Open House
MEET THE TEACHER EVENT BY STUDENT LAST NAME
Last Names A-M 4:00p-5:00p
Last Names N-Z 5:00p-6:00p
Students & Families can come meet their teacher for the 2021-2022 school year, and drop off any first day supplies in their new classroom.
September 2nd- 5:00p-7:00p
Join us for an evening of information and fun!
Summer Access to Learning Technology
- i-Ready access will be available until July 15th. Students can work on Reading and Math independently. Recommended 30-45 minutes/week for each subject.
- Lexia Core 5 will be available until July 30th for all K-5 students. Lexia offers online ebooks and lessons on reading skills. Lexia Power Up will also be available for all 6th grade students. Recommended up to an hour/week.
- Sora access is available all summer. This is a large collection of online books that students can read or listen to for pleasure. Listening to audio books that are above your child's reading level is a great way to build vocabulary and exposure to complex text! Students can earn a special treat for all the books they've read on Sora throughout the summer. They will be receiving a tracking postcard from their teacher soon!
These resources are a great way to encourage learning and keep skills sharp over the summer!