This Is How We Lakeview
January Edition: Volume 4
Goodbye January, hello February
Well, that month went by quickly. Just a reminder that the second trimester ends February 19th, so students have 3 weeks left to get assignments completed before grades are due. Let's finish out this trimester strong!
This week we are finishing up our winter diagnostic for iReady Math and Reading and the ALEKS comprehensive knowledge check. We are seeing some good growth from the students and teachers are starting to have data chats with the students about their progress. Ask your student how much growth they have made in their learning already. We are proud of everyone for all the progress they are making in iReady and ALEKS.
Even though we have just begun the second part of the school year we are already in the planning stages for course scheduling for next year. Our current hybrid model poses some challenges to holding our normal face to face meetings, but we are working on video presentation tools to assist in the scheduling process. Please look for additional information over the next few weeks. Stay tuned.
Congratulations to our January Students of the Month!
Each month, a small group of students are nominated by Lakeview’s staff to represent our building as the Students of the Month. These students don’t just uphold our Lakeview Values (Respect Yourself, Respect Others, Respect School, Respect Learning), they go above and beyond as role models and leaders within the school community. We would like to take a moment to congratulate the following Student of the Month winners for January:
Brynlee Bruner (December)
Jaymeson Mann (December)
Thank you for being excellent leaders and role models for others. We appreciate your hard work!
Congratulations to Lakeview's Pride of Pickerington Winners!
Please help us congratulate our building level Pride of Pickerington Award Winners for standing out in a crowd of their peers. The effort and passion that they put into their day makes a difference in the lives of our students and staff.
Joe Whitcraft - 7th grade Social Studies Teacher
Mr. Whitcraft constantly strives to create innovative, interactive, and student-centered lesson plans. He has worked especially hard this year to create digital plans that allow students to stay engaged and work collaboratively.
Susan Raber - Building Secretary
Susan has contributed enormously to creating a positive and welcoming school climate for all students at Lakeview. She consistently goes above and beyond to build relationships with students, staff, and families in addition to keeping the building running at a high level at all times. Susan has contributed to streamlining numerous processes to improve the way we provide services to students including our new student intake, student of the month celebrations, and other PBIS initiatives so that students are able to focus on their successes and continue to achieve at a high level.
CHECK OUT OUR MOST RECENT LAKEVIEW VALUES NOMINEES
Today is the last day to order personalized Yearbooks!
Yearbook is looking for photos!
Since the number of spectators at school events are limited, the yearbook staff needs your help with photos. Please upload any photos of Lakeview Jr High students that you take at any Lakeview events this school year. This could be sporting events, concerts, meetings, etc. Access code is panthers.
Link for purchasing yearbooks and for uploading photos:
Global Scholars Application for 21-22
What is the Global Scholars Program?
The course series provides hands-on experiences, simulations, and practical examples and strategies for global studies and cultural competence. Students will gain a deeper understanding of and define intercultural competence, explore the "other" and the value of varied perspectives throughout their school communities, gain insights into cultural nuances and effective interaction with local-global cultures, and develop a skills toolkit to leverage the global landscape of their classrooms and school communities to enrich all students' experiences. For more information, check out the flyer and video below.
Voluntary Track Practice for Distance Runners
This is currently for distance runners only, look for more information on track in the middle of February.
Free Golf Clinics
More information is provided in the flyers below.
The Community Corner
- In February, PAW Time classes will work through a choice board that highlights and celebrates Black History Month as well as teaches our students about Implicit Bias. Students will utilize these videos that aired on WOSU that explain what Implicit Bias is and how we can adjust and adapt to overcome the individual Bias that we all have.
- With Monday’s remote learning day due to weather, we have pushed back our Change Chats and are combining them with the chats that were already scheduled for February. On Tuesday, February 9, and Friday, February 12th, students will learn about and discuss goal-setting and leadership.
- This past Wednesday, Dr. Colette Dollarhide from The Ohio State University spoke with the staff about implicit bias and privilege, as part of our ongoing efforts to ensure that all of our students and families feel welcomed and valued in our building.
- As was mentioned in the last Community Corner update, after the Change Chats about goal-setting and leadership, students will have an opportunity to learn more about our vision for the Lakeview Leadership Team and how they can apply.
Updates from the Family Feedback Form
- We received one piece of feedback that celebrated several of the great teachers we have in our building, and we will make sure that feedback gets back to them so they know they are appreciated by our families.
- Another piece of feedback we received asked us to remember to keep political messages out of our announcements. We completely understand the need for schools to remain non-partisan, and we encourage our families that if you have concerns about announcements or messaging, please let us know what your specific concerns are so we can look into them.
The Lakeview Family Feedback Form
Sign up for Meals on Virtual Days
Breakfast and lunch are free for ALL students on their virtual days!
The deadline to sign up for the week is Monday by 10am. If you would like to receive breakfast and lunch for the days your student is virtual, please click on the correct link to sign up. Remember that you need to sign up for this every week.
Virtual Learning Academy link - https://forms.gle/GDUD99SzVPxeKmG66
Cohort A link https://forms.gle/M3tMsDDnUdk12PWq8
Cohort B link https://forms.gle/51mAnzb5Mqbjs9Xv7