Belonging, Learning and Growing Together.
The Pelican Brief
General Information and Upcoming Events
- Book Parade - Wednesday 22nd August. Children will need to come dressed as a book character. More details to follow.
- A reminder that 2:55pm is preschool pick up time. Teachers have meetings to attend and documentation to complete. Thank you for your cooperation.
- We appreciate that parking spots can be difficult to find but please do not double park outside the preschool.
Outcome 1: Children have a strong sense of identity
- Children have a strong sense of identity.
- Children feel safe, secure, and supported
- Children develop their emerging autonomy, inter-dependence, resilience and sense of agency
- Children develop knowledgeable and confident self- identities
- Children learn to interact in relation to others with care, empathy and respect
The children displayed enthusiasm and confidence at our athletics carnival. They participated in sack races, javelin throwing, parachute games, egg and spoon races, hurdles, chicken throwing, a three legged race, running races and a relay. It was great to see the children trying their best in all of the events. They displayed resilience when they fell in the sack race or the three legged race and got up and kept going. Charlotte displayed care for others when she stopped and picked up a friend's hat during her running race. It was good to have so many parents attend. Your children enjoyed watching your skilful throwing in the javelin event.
- Children are open to new challenges
- Children approach new safe situations with confidence
- Children display resilience and care for others
Outcome 3: Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
Children become strong in their social and emotional wellbeing
Children take increasing responsibility for their own health and physical wellbeing
Oliver, Remi, Charbel, Kenji, Daniel and Zach played cooperatively as they engaged in a game of football together. They laughed as they ran up and down and attempted to get the ball. The boys stopped to ask whose turn it was to kick off and were excited when their attempts to get the ball were successful.
- Children assert their capabilities and independence while demonstrating awareness of the needs and rights of others
- Children demonstrate confidence and satisfaction
- Children develop their physical skills and spatial awareness
Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners
Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigating
Children transfer and adapt what they have learned from one setting to another
Children resource their own learning through connecting with people, place, technologies and natural and processed materials
Our recent investigations of insects led to a discussion about bees and honey. Last week we used honey to make some delicious honey joys. While adding the ingredients, we talked about where each one comes from. We discussed dairy products and Lua said, "Butter comes from milk." Harper added, "Milk comes from cows."
This week we conducted an experiment to see if we could make our own butter. Cream was added to two jars and the children tried to predict what would happen when if we took turns to shake the jars as fast as we could. The children were amazed when the cream separated into butter and buttermilk. "We made butter!" exclaimed Daniel. Together we wondered and discussed how this had happened. We also recalled our five senses as the children watched and listened for changes as they shook each jar. The following day they smelt, tasted and were able to touch the butter.
Adalyn said, "I like the butter." Evandar asked, "Can I have some more?"
- Children express wonder and curiosity
- Children investigate new ideas
- Children explore cause and effect, and motion
- Children use reflective thinking to consider why things happen