AMMS Lions Roar
"Recognize the Roar"
Monday, September 28, 2020
Mr. Trey Martin, Principal
Dr. Mimi Gamel, 7th Grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Laurie Chans, 6th Grade Assistant Principal
PHASE III CONTINUES
Phase III continues this week. During this Phase, students may attend school face-to-face one day per week according to their last name. This Phase is OPTIONAL. Please adhere to the following days:
- September 28 Phase III – (Group 1) A-E
- September 29 Phase III – (Group 2) F-K
- September 30 Phase III – No students at AMMS. Universal Remote Learning for all.
- October 1 Phase III – (Group 3) L-P
- October 2 Phase III – (Group 4) Q-Z
Phase IV Begins On October 5th
Phase IV starts next week. During this Phase, students may attend school face-to-face two days per week according to their last name. Please adhere to the following days for face-to-face learning during Phase IV.
- Monday, October 5th and Thursday, October 8th in Phase IV - Households A-E (Group 1) and Households L-P (Group 3)
- Tuesday, October 6th and Friday, October 9th in Phase IV – Households F-K (Group 2) and Households Q-Z (Group 4)
- Wednesday, October 7th in Phase IV – No students at AMMS. Universal Remote Learning for all.
Student 4 Day Weekend - Coming Up!
Tuesday, October 13th - Teacher Workday
Student Checkout Procedures
In an effort to avoid interrupting instructional time with the intercom, students need to bring a note designating the time that they should meet you in the front office. Notes should be brought to the front office in the morning for authorization. The signed note will allow your child to leave class at the designated time and meet you in the front office. If students do not have a note we will not call them to the office until parents are at the school to sign them out. (for example, we cannot call them out of class when you call from your car) For this reason, you may experience delays if your child does not have a note giving prior notification of early dismissal.
Your cooperation with our check in/out procedure will help keep classroom interruptions to a minimum and will get you on your way in a timely manner.
Uniform Grading Practices
On Thursday September 17, as part of an ongoing follow up to Universal Remote Learning, an update on grading practices was shared. This update included a staff recommendation to establish a more uniform grading practices across the district. This guidance is an update to the Universal Remote Learning grading guidance, effective September 21 (Phase 3). This grading guidance will end at the end of the 2020 semester.
The following changes will be in effect moving forward for every school while in URL:
- Quizzes are to be considered as summative assessments
- Students will have one (1) attempt to redo/retake an assessment
- Students who achieve a 79 or less (less than an 80) are eligible for a redo/retake
- Students can earn up to an 89 on a replacement grade on a redo/retake
- Student redo/retakes must be completed 10 school days prior to the end of the semester.
These changes take into account students coming into the building and more face to face and simultaneous instruction occurring.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON ATTENDANCE
All notes should include the following:
- First name
- Last Name
- Date(s) and period(s) they are out
- Grade level
Please also include a Dr. Note whenever possible. These can be scanned or emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 470-254-7630.
Attendance will be adjusted within 24 to 48 hours.
Innovation Academy for Rising 9th and 10th Graders
Fulton County Schools is excited to announce the opening of Innovation Academy for rising 9th and 10th graders in the fall of 2021.
Innovation Academy is a STEM magnet high school for students interested in STEM-related fields. Our students will focus on project-based learning experiences that will help them become critical thinkers and creative problem-solvers.
Applications open October 15 and close on December 15. Innovation Academy will host two virtual information sessions at 6 p.m. on September 29th and October 13th. For more information, please visit our website, www.fultonschools.org/ia.
6th Grade Laurie Chans, Chansl@fultonschools.org
7th Grade Dr. Mimi Gamel, firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Grade Anita Erickson, email@example.com
Virtual Tech Club at Northview
The Girls in Tech club at Northview is holding free virtual weekly computer science/coding classes to help middle school students get a head start/early introduction to the vast field of computer science while simultaneously urging to close the gender gap in tech fields by urging more women to join. If interested, please ask them to contact this email: