September 6, 2021
EICS Changes Masking Requirement. All K-12 Students and Staff must wear masks
All K-12 students and staff required to wear masks
Sherwood Park, Ab. - Effective Tuesday, September 7th, 2021,
Elk Island Catholic Schools will require all K-12 students and staff to wear masks.
This change comes about as part of a commitment of Elk Island Catholic Schools to keep our students and staff safe.
EICS will be requiring all students and staff to wear a mask in all common areas, hallways, foyers, lunchrooms, libraries, and in areas where social distancing is not possible. Masks may be removed in classrooms when students are seated.
There will be circumstances in which individuals will be eligible for mask accommodations or exemptions. This would include:
persons who are unable to place, use or remove a non-medical face mask (i.e. developmental and or physical reasons)
a medical condition or disability (i.e. mental or physical) Anyone unable to wear a mask due to a medical condition will require a medical exemption letter from an authorized health professional.
“We realize the impact that this will have on our EICS community and as always are so appreciative of the support and compassion that we all share during these challenging times. Our priority remains ensuring that our students and staff have a safe school start-up in each of our communities and that will continue to guide future decisions” explained Superintendent Haggarty.
Madonna School Safety Plan
As you are aware, we will continue to have safety protocols in place due to COVID-19. Some protocols from last year will remain in place while there are some new protocols for this school year.
To highlight some of the key health and safety measures for our Madonna School community, we will continue to :
- Daily Screen: daily screening following the Alberta Health Daily Checklist
- Stay at home policy: stay-at-home policy for any students or staff exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19. Should a student develop symptoms of illness at school, parents will be notified and advised to pick up their child as soon as possible.
- Hand Hygiene: Students and staff will continue to make hand sanitizing and washing hands part of their daily school routine. Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the school and at all entryways.
- Vaccinations for eligible staff and students: strongly recommend and encourage all eligible staff and students to be fully vaccinated for respiratory illnesses, where applicable, such as COVID-19 and influenza.
- Physical distancing indoors: continue to encourage, where possible. Classrooms are still maximizing space and minimizing items
- Respiratory Etiquette: Masks are REQUIRED when physical distancing is not possible and in common areas (hallways, bathrooms, foyers, lunch rooms) where classroom cohorts are often intermingled.
- Cohorts: We will continue with grade cohorts within the school. Cohorts will be larger when outside. When outside for recess both grade 1 classes will be together. The gr. 2, gr. 2/3 and 3 class will be outside for recess.
- Bathrooms will continue to have a procedure to limit the amount of students in the bathroom to 3.
- At this time there will be no school wide assemblies or celebrations. All assemblies will be virtual.
- Visitors: We are excited to connect with our parents and families and will be outside to meet you. Safety is our top priority and we are not ready for visitors inside yet. Once routines have been established and we are comfortable with the health and safety measures, we will begin to welcome visitors, including parent volunteers, in again. Visitors must screen for any signs and symptoms of Covid-19 and are required to wear a mask.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the school office at 780-4677972.
Parents please print off the Alberta Health Daily Checklist and put on your fridge. Please screen your child before sending them to school.
School is out at 2:15 pm this Wednesday September 8th.
Teachers will be sending all their parents a google meeting link. The meeting is from 6:30 to 7:30 pm on Thursday, September 9th. Pop into the meeting at anytime during this hour. Your child's teacher can show you the classroom virtually and ask any questions that you may have about this school year. We look forward to seeing you then.
School Opening Mass will be on September 23 rd. The school mass will be livestreamed from OLPH Parish
School Photos for all classes will on Monday September 27. If you have a Tues/Thurs Kindergarten child, Mrs. Fortier will be contacting you regarding what time to come on Monday for pictures.
Up Coming Events
8 - EARLY Dismissal School is out at 2:15 pm
9 - Virtual Meet the Teacher --> 6:30 to 7:30 pm
20 - Federal Election in the gym.
24 - Terry Fox Run
27 - School Pictures
29 - School Council Mtg 7pm.
30 - Orange Shirt Day
Please come to the meeting all our welcome.
HERE IS THE MEETING LINK http://meet.google.com/frj-rubh-uyx
Please note the letter sent home.
A message from your School Council Chair,
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read our School Council letter. We are very excited to see what our upcoming school year brings. My name is Kerstin and I am your new Chair.
I have two children , a girl and a boy, that attend this great school. I have nothing but great respect for the staff and the level of commitment that they have for our children.
I work from home, which allows me to set my own hours and be involved as much as I can. I have been involved with the council for the past two years, making new friends and great memories. I feel that it keeps me in the loop and offers me a place where I can make a difference in my children's learning environment.
Please know that there is always an open invitation to join our meetings. You choose the level of participation that you are comfortable with. Our next parent council meeting will be held virtually at 7:00PM on September 29th, 2021 . The details of this meeting , including the link will be in the SMORE. I hope to see you there, it is such a great opportunity to meet some great people in our school community.
I truly believe it takes a village to have a school that is spirited and full of life! We can not solely rely on our Principal and staff to make it work. We have had a number of parent volunteers that give their time to the school, and we look forward to your support again… new faces are always welcome. The more volunteers the better!
Our new member positions are as follows:
Kerstin Adamson - Chair
Erin Cholak - Treasurer
Jeness Stang - Secretary
If you have any questions, concerns, or want to volunteer, please feel free to reach out to me anytime via email.
I look forward to meeting you,
Medical Support Plans and EPI PENS
Does your child have medical information or a condition the school should be aware of or require medication?
If so please complete a B2.) Medical Status Update/Request for Medical Treatment Plan located in your Parent Portal under SchoolEngage Student Forms on the left. Then choose Student and a new Medical Form will be available for you to complete. This form is required annually.
Please note: the submission of a Medical Form is required prior to medication being sent to the school.
Does your child require an EPIPEN? EICS Policy requires students to have it /wear it on their person. Order your FREE waist-pack holder by clicking on this link https://www.epipen.ca/order-your-free-epipen-essential
Please contact the school office if you any questions.
Please note the messages from the Diocese and OLPH Parish
Please click the link to hear the Welcome Back video from Father Jim
Please note a letter from Archbishop Smith and Father Jim below.