Friday, April 8, 2016
Brentwood Elementary Mission Statement
Greetings Brentwood Parents:
We are moving quickly to the second session of ISTEP+. The testing window opens on April 18th and will continue for three week until May 6th. During this time, we have to have all the tests given and any make-ups completed. Brentwood will be giving the paper/pencil version of the test this year so we have a little bit more flexibility. I want to thank all the teachers for their efforts to teach a curriculum that not only prepares students for the ISTEP but also gives them a great general knowledge. We would also like to thank our parents who support our efforts at home.
We have TWO VERY IMPORT DATES for parents to remember:
1. April 12 is the deadline for permission slips for students AND PARENTS to participate in the Walk-A-Thon. The parent volunteers must have a background check and submitted a volunteer sign-up on Volunteer Spot at http://vols.pt/CWU2cG.
2. April 18 is the deadline for all pledges.
Two items to note: walk-on volunteers cannot be accepted. Parents MUST sign-up ahead of time on the volunteer Spot and students must have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian to participate. We are encouraging all students to raise $40 for this effort. All pledges will go to our school to help our PTO fund school projects and field trips.
Are You Ready for Middle School???
5th Grade Music Program
The 5th Grade program is entitled Broadway Beats and features music from various Broadway musicals. Students in each class will be asked to dress in different attire (information went home today, Thursday, March 24th with your child).
PHS Performing Arts Department Proudly Presents...
Plainfield Walk-a-Thon 2016
In the spring of 2015, our community had the wonderful opportunity of having all four Plainfield Elementary Schools participate in a walkathon. It was a huge success, and raised over $58,000 in contributions from friends, families, and businesses in and around our community! In addition to the monetary success, the students and staff were able to get some exercise and thoroughly enjoyed the day. We are excited to be able to collaborate again and have the 2016 Plainfield Elementary Schools' Walkathon! The intent of the even is to promote health and wellness, while providing a fun activity for the students and raising funds for school enrichment programs, such as, field trips, school assemblies, class parties, and much more.
The walkathon will be on Friday, April 22nd from 9:00 a.m. until approximately noon. Due to locations of the schools, Brentwood and Clarks Creek students will walk together. Every child will be given FREE of charge, an event t-shirt to walk in and have as theirs to keep.
We will need your support. There will be numerous volunteer opportunities the day of the even and the week leading up to it. PLEASE NOTE IF YOU CHOOSE TO VOLUNTEER OR WALK WITH YOUR CHILD, YOU MUST HAVE A BACKGROUND CHECK ON-FILE. BACKGROUND CHECKS TAKE APPROXIMATELY 2 WEEKS TO PROCESS. All volunteers will need to sign-up online using your school's Volunteer Spot: http://vols.pt/CWU2cG Website no later than Tuesday, April 12th.
This year's walkathon theme will once again be: "Be Sporty, Raise $40". Each student is asked to raise $40 in pledges in support of completing the one mile walkathon course. Pledges raised by each schools' students goes directly to their respective school. Walkathon collection packets will be sent home Tuesday, April 5th.
Our hope is that the students will be as excited about this event as we are. In an effort to encourage enthusiasm and community pride, we are issuing a challenge to the students. If each school achieves their student pledge goal (average of $10,000 per building), the principals from each school will compete in a friendly competition. The classroom at each school that raises the most pledges will attend the competition live. The competition will also be taped and aired fro the entire student body at a later date. As always, that you for your support of Plainfield Community School Corporation Elementary Schools!
PTO Meeting Date Changes & Info
April PTO Meeting *Date Change*
Monday, April 25 at 6:30 p.m.
Board Elections for 2016-2017 year
May PTO Meeting *Date Change*
Monday, May 9 at 6:30 p.m.
The PTO thanks you for an amazing year and all of your hard work to make this year a success!
Parents: Earn Money for Brentwood Just by Shopping!
Brentwood is Enrolled in Amazon Smile Program & Kroger Rewards!
1. Amazon Smile
- Shop at the Amazon Smile website (different link than regular amazon.com)
- Search for "Brentwood Elementary PTO" to designate us as your Non-Profit
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases to us
1. Kroger Community Rewards Website
- NPO Number 74295
2. Shoparoo Website
- Sign up using code: cror5868
Please have your Kroger Card handy before starting enrollment! If you don't have a Kroger Card you can pick one up for free at the customer service desk.
Brentwood on Social Media
Transportation Arrival & Dismissal Info
All car riders arriving in the morning should be dropped off in our car rider lane NOT in our Visitor Parking lot. This ensures they are not crossing over any traffic.
If you child is being dropped off late an adult must come into the office and sign them in.
Student Arrivals (bus riders):If your child rides the bus to school and will be eating breakfast in the cafeteria please talk to them about going straight to the cafeteria to get their breakfast. This will give them the most time to eat as healthy of a breakfast as possible.
- If you need to change your child's dismissal instructions the best way to do this is to send a signed note to your child's teacher.
- If this is impossible please call the office NO LATER THAN 2:30 p.m. to ensure the dismissal change gets to your child's teacher in a timely matter.
If you are permanently changing how your child goes home or if you move please notify our office at 317-839-4802, as well as Transportation at 317-838-3632, and submit a new Transportation Form to the office.
Volunteer News & Information:
- Volunteer Background Agreement
- Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement (ask at front office the first time you come in to volunteer)
- Read & understand our Emergency Procedures Handout (ask for your copy at the front office)
- Read & understand our "Facts about Bullying" handout (ask for your copy at the front office)
Some guidelines to follow when volunteering at Brentwood (please refer to our handbook for more):
- You may only take photos of your own child. Photos may not be taken of friends or other students and should NEVER be posted on social media sources without the consent of the classroom teacher and the other parents.
- You should avoid taking or making phone calls while supervising students unless for an emergency or communication is needed on a field trip.
- You should not bring other children along on a field trip.
- You must immediately report incidents or suspected incidents of bullying, physical, and/or verbal aggression to a teacher.
"Those who can, do. Those who can do more, volunteer." ~Author Unknown