NYSUT National Board Updates
Accomplished Teaching Statistics in New York State
The top school districts by total number of certified NBCTs are:
1. New York City Department of Education (299)
2. Schenectady City Schools (77)
3. Arlington CSD (71)
4. Wappingers Falls CSD (57)
5. Rochester City School District (45)
January 24-28, 2022
- A personal congratulatory letter from Executive Vice President Jolene DiBrango is being sent to every new NBCT NYSUT member. Included in the envelope are a NYSUT/NBCT pin and bumper sticker.
- NYSUT will congratulate our newest NBCTs with a story this week on the NYSUT website with a list of those who achieved.
- NYSUT's National Board Fact Sheet has been updated and will be posted shortly.
- NYSUT's National Board webpage will house the updated Fact Sheet, the current NBPTS NY state profile and links to candidate support provided by Teacher Centers.
- Social media posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Helping Those in the Pipeline and PLFs Leading Programs
NBC Candidate and MOC Support
Each Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET, the National Board will host a candidate webinar. Focusing on both Maintenance of Certification and first-time candidacy, all webinars are posted here. Candidates must register and, even if they can’t attend live, they will receive the recording and resources in a follow-up email.
NYSUT National Board Certification Webpage
Candidate Support Cohort Toolkit for PLFs
Candidate Support Community Collaboration
Wednesday, Feb. 16th, 7pm
This is an online event.
Join NBPTS for a time dedicated to collaboration for Candidate Support Program Leaders and Professional Learning Facilitators to both learn and share strategies, tips, and tools to strengthen facilitation and support for educators on their Board certification journey. Register here.
The New York State Albert Shanker grant was established to defray the costs of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification to eligible New York State public school teachers. The New York State Education Department administers the grant program to support eligible New York State public school teachers seeking their first National Board Certification.
To be eligible for the Albert Shanker Grant, candidates MUST:
- be employed as a full-time teacher in a NYS public school;
- hold a valid New York State teaching certificate;
- hold tenure in his/her current position;
- commit to and actually complete the entirety of the initial NBPTS candidacy effort;
- continue to be employed as a full-time teacher in a New York public school for at least one full school year following completion of the initial grant period;
- apply for NBPTS certification and pay for the first component selected; and
- apply for the Albert Shanker Grant.
Candidate reimbursement for those who completed in December 2021 will open AFTER February 2022. Information will be posted on the webpage when requests for reimbursement will be accepted. Please note: Reimbursement is currently open ONLY for candidates who completed the National Board certification process in 2019 and 2020.
It is my pleasure to announce that 43 of the Class of 2021 NBCTs are Shanker grant awardees! If you know someone who is is interested in pursuing National Board Certification, let him/her know that the New York State Education Department will accept applications through Feb. 28, 2022 or until all funds are exhausted.