Physical Geography of India
Chris Murphy and Dalton Bartz
- Himalayas are the largest mountain range in India
- The Purvanchal Range is the extension of the Great Himalaya range in north-east region of India.
- The Satpura Range is a mountain range that stretches through the states in the central part of India.
- The Aravali range is the oldest mountain range in India.
- The western ghats mountain ranges make up an impressive fortress all along Kerala.
- The Eastern Ghats is an irregular range of mountains, Which include four major rivers The Godavari, Mahanadi, Krishna and Holy Kaveri.
- The Ganges, originates in the Himalayas at Gaumukh flowing into the bay of Bay of Bengal is the most sacred river of India and the longest river in India.
- Yamuna River is a major river and most polluted river of the Indian subcontinent rising form Yamunotri in the Himalaya Mountains and merges with the Ganges at Triveni Sangam, Allahabad, the site for the Kumbha Mela.
- Saraswati is an ancient river that flowed in northern India during the vedic era.
- The Narmada is one of the most sacred of the seven holy rivers of India.
- The Shipra, also known as the Kshipra rises in the Vindhya Range north of Dhar and flows south across the Malwa Plateau to join the Chambal River.
- The river Godavari originates near Trimbak in Nashik flows towards the Eastern Ghats into the Bay of Bengal.
- Kaveri or Cauvery River is considered to be a very sacred river of southern India. It originates from the Brahmagiri Hill in the Western Ghats flow towards the Bay of Bengal.