THE FAMILY ZONE
Equipping the Domestic Church/ISSUE 72/ 10.31.21
Walking in the Footsteps of Saints
Connect the Saints and their service to others
This is a resource of profiles by feast day; great place to learn more about known and not as famous Catholic Saints!
JOURNEYING WITH ST. JOSEPH
We look to the Saints as models for our lives, but who did the Saints look to? Some had other Saints, but St. Joseph, for instance, did not. He had the models of the Old Testament to look up to. The prophets and patriarchs, among countless other characters from the Jewish Tradition guided him, and in turn we can look to him for guidance.
Click on the link below for the readings that you will hear at the Sunday's Mass for the coming two weeks. This will give you a chance to prepare your heart and mind for full and active participation in Mass this weekend! For a Mass schedule in our diocese click on the grey button below.
Family Stories: Story Time with a Positive Message.
- I'm a Saint in the Making by Lisa Hendey
- Loyola Kids Book of Heroes: Stories of Catholic Heroes and Saints throughout History by Amy Welborn
- Carlo Acutis: The First Millennial Saint by Nicola Gori
- A Saint a Day: 365 True Stories of Faith and Heroism by Meredith Hinds, Isabel Munoz (Released 11/23/21)
Parenting Articles: A timely article about All Soul's Day: https://thecatholicspirit.com/holy-days/all-souls/all-souls-day-reflections-traditions-and-prayers/
- Can you complete this challenging puzzle about the saints? It uses a book called The Catholic Faith Handbook which is a great resource for teaching the faith in your home. You can also use online sources and your own knowledge about the saints! https://www.smp.org/dynamicmedia/files/18563132076cd003e0b469df38c7429b/TheSaintsandMary.pdf (MIDDLE SCHOOL +)
- Download these free All Saints Day resources from Sadlier Religious Publishing https://www.sadlier.com/religion/blog/free-resources-to-celebrate-all-saints-day-with-students (ELEMENTARY)
- Complete the ALL SAINTS WORD SEARCH below and then look up their names to find out who they are and what they are remembered for!
Shining Light Dolls
Ep. 95 St Josephine Bakhita by Shining Light Dolls
Click here to find a playlist of videos about your favorite saints and maybe saints you've never heard of!
Print out pictures of your favorite saints and tape them to empty plastic bottles. Tape the bottles to the ground and use circular glow sticks to toss them on the Saints! You can reuse the bottles for pumpkin bowling below and get a lot of use out of recycling and reusing water bottles!!
Play a fun, fall-themed game outdoors. Gather empty water bottles (individual size). Line them up in a triangular formation as with bowling. Place three in the back line, two in the middle line and one in the front. Gather your roundest pumpkin and ROLL 'EM! Can you knock down the pins?
Try making this healthy fall-themed snack and enjoy it during your family time at the park, in front of a movie, or around the campfire!
WONDER WITH THE HOLY FAMILY
Learning to walk and a child’s first steps are exciting times for a family. Imagine the excitement when Jesus began to walk. And then to learn his way around the house and St. Joseph’s workshop, Jesus surely learned from both Mary and Joseph. How amazing is it that these Saints were able to help the Son of God learn his role in the Holy Family?! And how lucky we are to have these same Saints to show us the beauty of being a holy parent.
Parents – Who has been your inspiration as a parent? What did you learn from your parents or your in-laws that you are able to pass along?
Children – What have you learned from your parents? What have you learned from your grandparents? Some day, if you are a parent, what do you want your children to never forget?