Earthquake Survival Tips
By Ximena Gallardo
What is an Earthquake?
An earthquake is a sudden and sometimes violent shaking of the ground. If the earthquake is violent, it may cause great destruction.
Earthquakes happen when Earth's crust move or because underwater volcanoes erupt.
List of Supplies for an Earthquake
In case an earthquake happens, here is a list of supplies you need:
- First aid kit
- Water (about 3 gallons for person)
- Enough food for people
- Medicine: Ointment, Aspirin eye drops, and thermometer
- Pocket knife
- Plastic bags
- Safety pins
- Needle and thread
- Tools: Ax, shovel, screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, wrench, rope, and tape
- Shoes that protect from broken glass or nails
- Waterproof matches
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Portable radio
- Extra batteries
- Fire extinguisher
- Small mirror
- Jacket or sweatshirt
If you don't have a place to store your supplies, you could store them in a large tool box or fishing tackle. The supplies need to last at least three days.
After an earthquake, you and your family should have an evacuation plan. Here are some steps for an evacuation plan:
- Take a few minutes with your family to talk about an evacuation plan.
- Plan a second way to exit each room or area.
- Mark where your supplies are located.
- Mark where the switches are located so it can be turned off.
- Put the location of your family's emergency outdoor meeting place.
Car Parking Collapsed During an Earthquake
Some Supplies for an Earthquake
Family Making an Evacuation Plan