Compass Staff Update
July 2, 2014
This Week's News:
- We held our second Compass Family Gathering on Saturday at Mount Prospect Park. We had a great turnout and there was a lot of tire swinging, playing in the sprinklers, and running around! Thank you to all of you who made it. Our next gathering will be on July 26th. Please join us if you are in town.
- Brooke has visited about 80 of our incoming students in their homes. The final home visits and assessments will take place in the next couple of weeks.
- We are happy that many of our staff members and families will be biking to school. We submitted an application to try to get a bike rack near the school (thanks to Anna!). We will let you know when we hear anything. If you have any resources to help us with getting a bike rack, please email Brooke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- We made a decision to use the Bed Stuy YMCA as our afterschool partner. The children will remain at school and the YMCA staff will come to supervise the program. This program was the least expensive and had the most programming options for our students.
- Todd is working with a t-shirt printing company to finalize our uniform t-shirts. We should have samples very soon. We giving the children and families a choice of many colors and long and short sleeved shirts.
- Today Brooke met with the directors of Studio in a School to discuss a potential partnership for visual arts education for the upcoming school year. This program will provide visual arts classes to our students and also provide training for the staff.
- We are very excited that two of our staff members, Amanda, School Psychologist, and Kirsten, Sustainability Coordinator, have now moved from out of state to join us in Brooklyn. If you see them around, please welcome them to Brooklyn!
- We have submitted two proposals to Donors Choose and another one will be submitted tomorrow. I will share our Giving Page once the proposals are up and running. Please think about sharing our proposals with your networks through Facebook, Twitter, email, or any other social media forum. If you are interested in helping with a Donors Choose proposal, please let Brooke know.
- Michelle will return from vacation this week and the three leaders will be working from the NYC Charter School Center on a daily basis until we can move into the school building at 300 Adelphi. We do not have a move in date yet, but we will let you know as soon as we find out.
What We're Reading This Week:
Below are some articles we have found interesting since our last update. Feel free to send us any articles you would like to share and we will include them in our next update.
Also, we share many articles from our Twitter feed. Please follow us if you aren't already.
Disclaimer: We are not endorsing anything in these articles. We are simply sharing them because we thought you might like to read them.
Happy Holiday Weekend!
Compass Charter School
Feel free to reach out anytime with questions or to catch up. Our contact info is listed below.
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development