We Are Together Tamanend!
March 25, 2013
Mr. Albert Moss, WWII & D-Day Veteran
We thank Mr. Moss for coming to Tamanend again this year. And we thank him for his service to our country.
Boomerang Recognition for School Engagement
Julia is pictured above with her proud mom.
Spring Break: March 28-March 31
National History Day
On Saturday, Mrs. McFarland, Mr. Landis, and Miss Meenan took 58 students to Ursinus College to compete in National History Day. Congratulations to all competitors. Extra congrats go to our winners: In the Documentary category, third place winners Caitlyn B. and Shaelyn S. for their project titled The Great Hunger: Famine and Migration in 19th Century Ireland. In the Performance category, third place winners David B., Sam L., Jessica M., Valerie P., and Alice B. for their project titled The Man Who Lit the World: Benjamin Franklin and the Turning Point of Electricity and second place winners Ryan S., Taylor M., Katherine A., and Erin O. for their project titled Beatlemania: The Monumental Turning Point in Modern Music. Good luck at the state competition to these three groups of winners and congratulations to all who participated!
World War II Book Talks
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Register your card and TMS will receive a percentage of your spendings.
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
CBSD Board Briefs
At the March 12, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Holicong Select String Ensemble performance before the school board meeting.
2. Heard the Superintendent’s State of the District presentation and the I.U. Board Committee Report.
3. Approved School Board Minutes.
4. Approved the Aramark Contract extension and the Water Tank Hydrostatic Coating Contract for Gayman Elementary School.
5. Approved School Board Policy 806 – Child Student Abuse.
6. Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff workshops.
7. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.
Highlighted in a Previous Tamanend Connections
- April 2nd is World Austism Day - Light It Up Blue! At Tamanend, we are asking everyone to wear BLUE on that day to show our support and increase awareness.
- Warrington Township Police Department has asked that we remind everyone of the school speed limit of 15 mph during our arrival and dismissal times: 6:55-7:40 a.m. and 2:15-3:00 p.m..
- Freshman Dance Planning Meeting: ALL TMS parents are encouraged to come out and participate in this Tamanend Tradition. We will magically turn our school entrance, cafeteria, and gym into a themed ballroom for a Freshman Dance that our 9th Graders will never forget... well, it isn't really magic that does it. It is the dedication of our TMS parents! 7th, 8th and 9th grade parents are needed. Please plan to attend on April 18th at 7 p.m.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon: We appreciate Mrs. Christine Pataki for coordinating the TMS Staff Appreciation Luncheon this year which will be on May 7th. To volunteer, please email Mrs. Pataki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Relay for Life: 8th and 9th graders across the district are encouraged to participate in the CBSD Relay for Life hosted at Tohickon Middle School on May 18. Please mark your calendar and stay tuned for more information.
- ARAMARK is sponsoring a student poster contest for National Nutrition month. Judging will occur at the elementary, middle and high school levels and there will be gift certificates to those students who are awarded.
- In order to promote more students eating breakfast before school, Tamanend now has a breakfast cart. Students can purchase breakfast items from 7:10 a.m. until 7:27 a.m. NEW LOCATION FOR THE CART: Outside the Auditorium by the back of Mr. Sanchez's room so that students may buy breakfast as they arrive to school. Students will be able to use their IDs to swipe their account number, or they can enter it manually. Students will be allowed to eat breakfast in their homerooms. For more information about the selection and prices, click here.
- 2013-2014 CBSD Calendar
- Tamanend is helping to Save Kids Castle! Click here to donate your time, talent or money. To learn more about this worthwhile community service project, you can follow it on Twitter @SaveKidsCastle.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- Students currently taking an Algebra course will take the PA Keystone Exam in Algebra this year, unless they took the Algebra Keystone two years ago and were proficient. The following is a link with more information about the PA Keystone Exams: http://www.cbsd.org/curriculum/assessment/Pages/PA-Keystone-Exams.aspx.
- If you have a Twitter account, now you can get "Tiger Tweets" by following us @CBTamanendMS where we will proudly share good news and accomplishments of our students and staff.
Please read and share with others our "TMS Points of Pride."
Please volunteer to help make this year at TMS great!
- Click here to register to receive CBSD text alerts.
Just had to share this photo of Busaba, an Indochinese Tigress who lives in the Khao Kheow Zoo. Photographer, Ashley Vincent won the National Geographic Photo Contest 2012 Grand Prize with this fantastic photo. To learn more about this contest and photo, click here.
By the way, does anyone see any geometric patterns in this photo? Math is everywhere and it is beautiful!