The VTHS Message for August 2019
From Your Vernon Township High School Administrative Team
We are delighted to welcome our students (back) to Vernon Township High School for the 2019-2020 school year and look forward to working collaboratively with you and your children. This year, a new administrator has joined the high school administrative team. Mr. Nick Demsak will be replacing Dr. Eric Kosek as our new assistant principal. He will be working with all of our students--but focused on our juniors and seniors. Please be sure to encourage your children to stop by all of our offices to say hello; our doors are always open!
The first day of school for students is rapidly approaching and we are excited to welcome our new ninth graders--the Class of 2023--as well as those who have transferred into Vernon Township High School over the summer. We are also eager to welcome (back) our tenth and eleventh graders--and the Class of 2020!
Student Schedules on the Genesis Parent Portal
The Vernon Township High School Back-to-School Night is scheduled for the second day of school--Thursday, September 5th, beginning at 6:30 pm. Please bring a copy of your child's schedule with you, as you will be asked to follow your child's schedule that evening.
During your child's scheduled lunch period, please visit the cafeteria for some light refreshments. We look forward to seeing all of you at Back-to-School Night. If you need to speak to one of us that evening, please stop by the main office and we will be happy to assist you.
Some Details about Everyday Life at VTHS
Here are a few reminders of some of the high school arrival procedures:
- All students who drive to and/or dropped off at school may enter the school via the main front doors ONLY beginning at 6:45 am. Students must go directly to the cafeteria upon entering the building. There they can purchase breakfast, eat something they have brought from home, complete homework, and/or just gather with friends. When the 7:05 am bell rings, they may go to their lockers and to their first period classes.
- As the buses arrive, seniors may enter the building (prior to the 7:05 am bell).
- All other students will be dismissed from the buses at 7:05 am (when the bell rings) and may purchase breakfast in the cafeteria or at one of the breakfast kiosks, which will be located throughout the school. Students should then go to their lockers and proceed to first period.
- Students will proceed to homeroom/first period when the warning bell rings at 7:14 am. Homeroom/First Period will begin at 7:17 am.
- After the first period bell rings, breakfasts will not be sold. Students may eat breakfast during period 1--or period 2 if period 1 is a physical education class.
- Weather permitting, we will be unlocking the doors to the "courtyards," which join one wing to another; this will save some steps and provide students with a few minutes of fresh air and sunshine between classes!
Freshman Orientation for the Class of 2023
Tuesday, Aug. 27th 2019 at 10:30am-2:30pm
Vernon Township High School
In conjunction with the Vernon Township Police Department and the Vernon Township Board of Education, we are proud to announce our new Safe Driving Initiative for the 2019-2020 school year. Student safety is a top priority to us at Vernon Township High School; therefore, we are eager to bring the Share the Keys program to Vernon families.
Student safety is of our utmost concern and students driving on campus poses potential hazards to our students, staff, and visitors. We feel having you attend this program with your child will help instill a sense of importance and responsibility that comes with sitting behind the wheel, whether driving to campus or anywhere else.
SUMMER HAPPENINGS AT VTHS!
Some Changes at VTHS for 2019-2020
- The only after-school buses that will be available for students will be departing VTHS at 5:30 pm.
- We will be dismissing school 5 minutes earlier this year. Buses will depart from the school at 2:00 pm on regular dismissal days.
- We are excited to announce the creation of the VTHS Student Center in the lower library. More details to follow!
"Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much."
We look forward to working with you and your child during the upcoming school year. If there is anything we can do to assist you or your child, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.