Mrs. Koontz's Newsletter
September 16, 2016
- If your child will go home a different way than usual, you will need to write a note. If I do not have a note saying they will go home a different way, I will send them home their normal way.
- Please, please make sure your child has a supply of pencils, paper, and a dry erase marker (black works best).
- Please remember, our day starts at 7:30. Students switch classes at 7:50. Every minute of our day is precious. Thank you.
- It is very cold in my classroom. Please send a sweatshirt or jacket for your child to have if they are complaining about the room temperature.
- We are still working out the kinks in the implementation of our new PBIS plan using Class Dojo. Please be patient while we make some changes.
- Many of you have asked for Mrs. Elliott's email address. It is email@example.com.
Language Arts Notes
This week , we will focus on cause and effect in text. We will also continue reading and discussing our nonfiction text on rocks and minerals. Each student received their own book that they will get to keep to help them as they explore rocks and minerals with Mrs. Elliott. We are using this text to discuss text features, such as diagrams, boldface, italics, etc. This book will also give students more information and background knowledge to use in Science class.
In Writer's Workshop, we have focused on sentence fragments. We have practiced identifying them in the writing of others. We will apply this to our own writing this week as we write personal narratives. Students will need to write a three paragraph piece telling about a favorite memory, complete with correct capitalization and punctuation. We will also practice using editing marks to proofread our work.
Social Studies Notes
We will continuing our study of North Carolina geography. So far, we have learned about the three regions of North Carolina. Our focus now will shift to North Carolina's waterways, natural resources, how people utilize these resources, and the migration of people across our state. Once we finish this, we can begin our study of the history of North Carolina and its people.
September 20 - Interims go homw
September 22 - Author visit
September 23 - Early Dismissal (11:30)
September 30 - School pictures