Sierra Family Newsletter January 21, 2022
Message from the Principal
We will be celebrating the 100th day of school this Tuesday, January 25th! If you've been at Sierra for the past couple of years, you know we like to celebrate this day as a spirit day and challenge students to dress like they are 100 years old! It's a PE day for most of our sharks, so make sure if your shark participates, they dress as a 100 year old who is ready to get a good workout in, too! :)
Recently a LOT of important emails have been sent. Make sure to scan for important emails from the district as well as the school and check to be sure your email settings aren't blocking or sorting the emails into places you don't want them to go. :) We know there is a TON of information coming your way regularly and that things can be missed, so I want to recap some very important communications relative to recent emails.
1) Sierra's Kindergarten Information Night registration is open for parents of our future 2022-23 Kindersharks! Sierra's Kindergarten Information Meeting will be on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. This meeting will be virtual. To register for the meeting, please visit https://www.rocklinusd.org/Parents/Registration/ - we will send out the Zoom link information on Monday to all who register. Please feel free to share this information with anyone you know who may be interested in enrolling their future 2022-23 kindergartener here at Sierra!
Related FAQ: Will we have TK at Sierra in the 2022-23 school year? No. Next year Sierra will not have a TK program. However, we expect to have a TK program in the 2023-2024 school year.
2) If you requested a Chromebook for your child earlier this year, we finally have the Chromebooks in hand and they are being prepped for distribution. We can NOT send the Chromebook home with your child until you complete the required forms the district emailed to all families who enrolled in the program already. The form is included in the email with the subject line: "Reminder - ECF Forms are Due for Chromebooks." Please get that form completed ASAP so there is no delay.
3) We want to hear from you! All parents have an opportunity to provide input on the district's Local Contral Accountablity Plan (a.k.a. LCAP). Please see the message copied below from a recent email to all families from RUSD.
4) In the recent RUSD Email to all families titled "Newsletter - The Rocklin Report - January 12, 2022," the new start times impacted by CA State Law SB328 were announced. Sierra's start and end times will push back a half hour for the 2022-2023 school year. Click here for more information.
Amy Westberg, Principal
Please help Rocklin Unified include your priorities when planning and allocating resources by sharing your experience related to your student(s) education in this short survey. Your input and participation are vital to this process. The survey has two sections:
Education Services Priorities Section: This survey will be used by our District advisory committees, including parents/guardians and staff, when revising the 2022-23 Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP). The LCAP includes our overall goals for students and specific actions we will take to ensure success for all students.
District Budget Priorities Section: Beginning in January, RUSD will begin the budget development cycle for the 2022-23 school year. Understanding parent/guardian priorities will assist the District in making upcoming budget decisions.
Thank you for devoting approximately 10-15 minutes of your time for our survey.
If you have multiple students, please complete the survey for each one of your students in RUSD by Monday, January 24 at 5 PM.
Your feedback is valued and your time is appreciated.
Rocklin Unified School District
Thank you all for your help and generous donations, as always!
CDE Partnership with Renaissance Learning Provides Gift of Literacy this Winter
As part of State Superintendent Tony Thurmond's literacy initiative to get all California students to read by third grade by 2026, the California Department of Education (CDE) has partnered with Renaissance Learning, Inc. to ensure that every student can access thousands of reading resources from December 1, 2021, to January 31, 2022. The myON digital library and news articles in multiple languages can be accessed for FREE by all pre-K to grade 12 students in California. All books downloaded during the two months are able to be read offline. Schools are asked to provide the access code to unlock these free resources for students and families. Please use the Family Letter Templates to share this news, login code, and message with families in your school communities: Renaissance Learning Family Letter-English; Renaissance Learning Family Letter-Spanish. Learn more in this recent Letter from Superintendent Thurmond.
Are you cleared to volunteer?
- Fingerprinting completed for RUSD specifically. Prior fingerprinting done for any agency or organization other than RUSD will not be accepted. Fingerprinting takes approximately 72 hours to clear.
- Current Tuberculosis Test (TB). TB tests expire every 4 years and must be renewed in order to volunteer. TB Tests take approximately 48-72 hours for results and results must be brought to the office.
State of California Policy:
- Vaccination status or proof of a current negative COVID test uploaded to the link included in the email from Informed K12. If you have not received this email, please let the office know. Details about this are included in the Informed K12 email.
To check your volunteer status, please call the office or email our Secretary, Kimberly Ervin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sierra VAPA News
Students in grades 4 & 5 enjoyed their first VAPA unit featuring choice-based art. Your donations of recyclables and wipes are greatly appreciated. Favorite items for construction included toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes. Please save your tubes and send them to Sierra! Cardboard cut down to interesting shapes (circles, squares, etc.) are also a hit. Also, if you are interested in volunteering for VAPA, I love to have parent volunteers come in during their child's VAPA time (especially with grades K-2). At-home volunteers are also needed to frame artwork or prep materials. Please email me at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering.
Lisa Johnson - VAPA/IB Coordinator
MS. SHARON IGARASHI SHARING BENCH
We reached our fundraising goal! Thank you to everyone who contributed to the Sharing Bench that will be placed on the kinder playground to honor Ms. Sharon. We will have a dedication ceremony when the bench arrives toward the end of the school year. Stay tuned for more details.
Check out today’s Friday folders for an auction invite and to find out the theme of this year’s event. Ticket sales start February 1…watch for early bird specials! Follow us on Facebook or Instagram for more updates. If you’re interested in helping plan this year’s auction, email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the Auction Planning Committee. We are also actively collecting donations for auction items. Please contact us if you have items to donate or know of a business that may consider a donation.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
4/2: Sierra Auction
Have a great weekend,
Your Sierra PTC
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
2/21/22 - 2/25/22 - Presidents Week No School
2/28/22 - Minimum Day (K: 12:10pm/1st-6th 12:20pm)
3/7/22 - 3/11/22 - Book Fair and Minimum Days all week for parent-teacher conferences
4/11/22 - 4/15/22 - Spring Break No School
4/18/22 - Staff Development Day No School
Click this button for a video and more details. Share with your friends with school-ready little ones!
Check out our weekly announcements videos shared with students every Monday morning!
Lunch may be picked up for RVC students from 11:30 - 12:00 Monday - Friday from our school cafeteria. Our Nutrition Services Website has the menu for the month so your shark knows what they will be sinking their teeth into each day.