Cato MCHS Campus Connector
March, 2023 Volume 4, Issue 6
Prom is Right Around the Corner
If you are bringing a guest who does not attend Cato MCHS, a Guest Form must be completed and submitted by April 6, 2023. Forms are in the Cato MCHS hallway file box.
Spring 2023 Graduation Information
Cato MCHS Graduation
Graduation for Cato Middle College High School will be held at Ovens Auditorium on Wednesday, May, 24 at 10 am
Graduation Rehearsal: Tuesday, May 23 (no outside guest)
CPCC GraduationIf you are graduating in May 2023 with your Associates, you will need to apply for graduation with CPCC. Go to MyCollege>Graduation Overview>Apply
From the Desk of Ms. Johnson
Join me in congratulating the following seniors on their college acceptances and scholarship offers!
- Letrell Grady - Morehead Cain Scholar (Full Ride to Chapel Hill), CTI Scholar (Full Ride to Queens University), NC State University
- Frederick Cosby -Queens University ($80,000), UNC -Pembroke ($4,000), Limestone University ($12,500),Greensboro College ($28,000), Xavier University ($100,000)
- Shamsa Yusuf - Queens University ($60,000), Bridgewater College ($38,500), Gardner-Webb University ($72,000), Radford University ($36,000) and William Peace University ($68,000)
- Keshawn Holloway - NC Central University and UNC -Pembroke
- Logan McCall - NC State University
- Berina Music - Gardner Webb University and UNC -Greensboro
- Sumayyah Elkhouly - UNC-Chapel Hill and Queens University ($100,000)
- Darrell Holmes - NC A&T State University
MAY 2023 Graduates - Save the Dates!
- April 19, 10:30-1:30, Cap & Gown Pictures - Cato II Learning Lounge
- May 18, 12 p.m. -Graduate Recognition Ceremony
The first short session classes end on Friday, March 3. Check grades on Bright Space to be sure there aren't any surprises! The second set of short session classes will begin on March 13th.
I hope everyone has a safe, restful and fun Spring Break March 6-10. As a reminder, high school classes will not meet on March 13th, Teacher Workday for Middle College High Schools. CPCC classes are in session.
We're looking forward to 2023 prom theme Masquerade. The link to purchase tickets has been reopened until March 27th. Merancas Middle College HS, Harper Middle College HS, Hawthorne Health Sciences Academy, Performance Learning Center and Charlotte Engineering Early Colleges will all join us again for prom this year. Students may invite one guest. For guests who do not attend Cato MCHS, students must submit a Prom Guest Form to Ms. Johnson for approval.
ACT TESTING PREP FOR ALL JUNIORS
ACT Test Prep assignments in Edgenuity should be complete by March 3.
Tutorial Sessions with CMCHS English, & Science Teachers:
February: 2, 7, 14, 16, 21, and 28
8:00 am - 9:00 am
(Jan. 17, Feb 14, March 14) time change for Mr. Highsmith ONLY)
4:30 - 5:30 pm
ACT for ALL JUNIORS
Parents: Are you Missing our Text Messages?
Parents of Juniors,
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catojrpar to 81010.
Parents of Seniors and Grade 13
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catosrpar to 81010.
CPCC Will Use Second Verification to Access CPCC websites
CPCC Tutoring Information
Please see the link for information regarding academic support (tutoring) in your CPCC courses.
CPCC Math Tutoring Sessions
- Cato 2 Building, Rm 270
- Signup here to schedule an appointment: https://www.cpcc.edu/academics/resources/tutoring
CPCC Digital Literacy Learning Space
- Get on-demand, rapid, personalized assistance in the following categories: Library Research, Technology & Brightspace.
- Make an online appointment: https://cpcc.libcal.com/appointments/online#s-lc-public-pt
- NOTE: This link will be added to Cato MCHS Linktree
Cato PTSA Information
Our February PTSA meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 16th at 6:30 p.m.
Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 665 983 4013
From The Desk of Mr. Smith
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Grade 13 and Graduating 12th grade students,
When requesting letters of recommendation in Naviance, it must be a Cato staff member. If requesting recommendations outside of Cato make that request in the Other Recommender section of Common App. You may also request your recommender to send a letter via US Mail. Provide them with the college's office of admissions address.
Please contact your teachers or anyone that you are requesting a letter of recommendation from asking for the recommendation letter prior to them getting the automated request via Naviance or Common App.
On Common App you will be reporting your weighted rank and GPA. 4.0 scale.
The Charlotte Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority- DEADLINE: March 24, 2023
Buffalo Soldiers Scholarship- DEADLINE: March 26, 2023
University of North Carolina Greensboro Guarantee Scholarship- DEADLINE: April 1, 2023
LAWA Scholarships (English/Spanish)- Deadline April 3, 2023
AKA Scholarship-Deadline April 6, 2023
Class Act Collegiate Award- Deadline April 7 , 2023
Dr. Mary Harper Scholarship- Deadline April 7 , 2023
CPCC Scholarship- Deadline April 7 , 2023
State Employees Association of North Carolina (SEANC)
Only SEANC members, in good standing, their spouses and/or dependent child(ren) and SEANC retired member’s, in good standing, grandchild(ren) are eligible to receive scholarships. Membership in teachers’ organizations or the State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) does not constitute eligibility for a SEANC Foundation Scholarship. Click on the links below to view each scholarship application. DEADLINE: April 15, 2023
- Category I Scholarship application (Financial Need)
- Category II Scholarship application (Merit)
- Category III Scholarship application (Member only)
- Retiree Grandchild - Category I Scholarship Application (Financial Need)
- Retiree Grandchild - Category II Scholarship Application (Merit)
BridgeFoundationScholarship- Deadline April 17, 2023
5Estimates.com Scholarship Program
The 5Estimates.com is offering a $1,000 scholarship to students who are currently studying at or have been accepted to an accredited university. No minimum GPA is required. DEADLINE: July 30, 2023
- Click the link for more information.
March 1, 2023
- North Carolina Black College Expo
- Wed, 3 – 7 PM
- Eastridge Mall, 246 N New Hope Rd Gastonia, NC
MARCH 19, 2023
- Charlotte National College Fair
- Sun, 9 AM – 12 PM
- Chantilly Shopping Center, 800 Briar Creek Rd Charlotte, NC
MARCH 19, 2023
- NACAC - Charlotte
- Sun, 4 – 7 PM
- Chantilly Shopping Center, 800 Briar Creek Rd Charlotte, NC
College & Scholarship Acceptance Letters
Congratulations to all for the college acceptances and scholarships that you have been awarded thus far. Please email or bring me a copy of all college acceptance letters and merit scholarship letters awarded (even if you are not attending the school). Go Cato!!!
Click for information: NC Black College Expo scheduled for March 1st from 3 – 7 p.m
The Financial Aid/Niner Central Office is offering one-hour virtual appointments for students and families to receive assistance with completing the FAFSA. Appointment time slots can be found here. They can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 704-687-8622 with any questions that they have.
Please be reminded to update your resume in Naviance. In an effort to paint the best picture of you as possible you need to include as much volunteer service, extracurricular activites, and academic awards that you've accomplished. This is the resume that faculty and staff at Cato will use to write your letters. Let's Go Cato!
Naviance and Common App email addresses must be the same to match the accounts. See me if you have questions.
As you know our 2 primary platforms to use with our college application process is with Naviance and Common App. Another resource you may use with career planning, scholarships, financial aid and other college admissions topics is via CFNC (College Foundation of North Carolina.) You can create an account or you can simply use the site as a resource.
From The Desk of Ms. Wilkins
Rise to Success
- Rise to Success is a sponsorship program that enables high school graduates to earn an associate degree or a certification in a health care related discipline from a local community college. Tuition, textbooks, activity fees and scrubs are paid by Atrium Health. While participants are in college, they are hired into an entry-level parttime position.
- Applications will be accepted February 1 to March 1, 2023
- Complete this Interest form and view the information on the flyer to apply
- Employment with the Y begins at the age of 16. If you have interest in working in afterschool or aquatics those positions begin at a pay rate of $11.25 and includes a free Y membership. Please browse our website for the opportunities you’re looking to apply for. Website: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/work-ymca-charlotte/career-opportunities
- If you are looking for opportunities to Level Up (Teens Night Out) program please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/programs/teens/level-up
- If you are looking for opportunities to Volunteer please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/become-a-volunteer
Below is an opportunity for a student who would be interested in EMT and turning 18 and have their high school diploma by July 1. It is free training and they are getting a stipend while participating.
CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart
Refer to the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart if you:
- Have been in close contact with someone who tested positive
- Have tested positive
- Have symptoms
NOTE: Should you meet any of the requirements above, please complete the Confidential Covid Screener google form located on the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart.
22-23 SCHOOL ANNUAL NOTICE LETTER TO PARENTS
- Jaden Touchstone 3/4
- Kavina Akinjobi 3/6
- Berina Music 3/7
- Frank Peraza 3/9
- Alaysia Stevenson 3/9
- Constance Agabor 3/10
- Rasheeda Muhammad 3/11
- Genesis Toliver 3/11/
- Lindsey Maldonado 3/16
- Emerald Green 3/17
- Me'lan Adkins 3/18
- Naima Adams 3/20
- Frederick Cosby 3/23
- Makiyah Slaughter 3/27
- Cris Velazquez-Euceda 3/30
- Kennedy Ingram 3/31