East Side Press Family Newsletter
March 14, 2021
Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences
Thank you to those who participated in our first night of virtual parent-teacher conferences on Thursday, March 11th. If you weren't able to join on Thursday, there are still slots available for this Tuesday, March 16th.
To sign up for a 10-minute conference with each of your student's teachers or counselor, please follow the instructions at this link (Tosa Connected Families: Sign up here). Sign-ups will close one day prior.
You will receive an email the morning of conferences with a link to a spreadsheet containing the Zoom links for each teacher. You will click the link to meet with the teacher at the time and date you signed up for. You will be let into a waiting room and the teacher will let you in when they are ready.
**PLEASE NOTE: you must go to each department's tab to sign up! Not the first page**
Tosa Connected Families: Sign up here
Please let us know if you have any questions and thank you for signing up!
- Tosa East Administration
Upcoming Important Dates
Please note the following upcoming dates.
Monday, March 29 - Friday, April 2 - Spring Break; no classes (JK-12)
Monday, April 5 - classes resume
Tuesday, April 6 - regular classes
Friday, April 16 - no classes (JK-12); teacher professional learning day; staff COVID-19 vaccine clinic
May 28 - no classes (JK-12)
AP Research needs YOU (and your data)!
If there are any questions, tips, suggestions, or concerns, you can reach out to the student directly (their email addresses are in that doc) or you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for the support with our data collection! :)
Egg Drop Physics
Students can use the following troubleshooting steps if they have issues with login:
- Make sure the account is activated. The activation process is very simple and is demonstrated here.
- Make sure the student is not logged in to Zoom with another account.
- Check that the student is using the Zoom app (not just the website).
- Ensure the student is using the "Sign in with Google" button on the app.
Canvas Observer Accounts For Families
- Needing a little support with your Wauwatosa Virtual Academy (WVA) courses? Check out this resource sheet.
- Don't forget that our Academic Resource Center (ARC) staff is available to provide support. Please check out their schedule here.
- If you are unable to attend your live virtual class, please make sure that you call the East attendance line (414-773-2002) to report the absence.
The District is seeking volunteers for various virtual career-based learning experiences for our students. Complete the form if you are interested in sharing your industry expertise, your career story, the importance of a specific skill, etc.
Senior Cap and Gown
Jostens has collected the in school orders for graduation materials. If you missed the opportunity, you can complete the order packet and send it directly to Jostens. There is also an online ordering opportunity. Please use the steps below to order items:
- Go to jostens.com and choose the tab for “Shop High School”
- Enter your correct school name and choose it. (Wauwatosa East High School)
- Choose the “Graduation Tab”
- From there you can go to available packages or scroll down to individual items
Class of 2021: High School Graduation
The Wauwatosa School District intends to hold graduation ceremonies in-person for the class of 2021. Ceremonies will be held outdoors on Saturday, June 12, 2021. Should we be unable to hold the event due to inclement weather, ceremonies will take place on Sunday, June 13, 2021. Wauwatosa East’s graduation ceremony will begin at 11 am; West’s ceremony will begin at 2 pm. Additional information will be provided as we approach these dates.
Virtual Peer Tutoring Program
With the help of upperclassmen, the Student Services Department is rolling out a Virtual Peer Tutoring Program. Hour-long tutoring sessions via Zoom are available at various times and days. If students have questions, they should reach out to their school counselor.
Student Services Team
Mrs. Bratcher - School Counselor
Mrs. Carter - School Counselor
Mr. Linscott - School Counselor
Ms. Merg - School Counselor
Ms. Phillips - School Social Worker
Ms. Schmidt - School Counselor Intern
Mrs. Morgan - Administrative Assistant
Mrs. Taylor - Career Center Coordinator
Interested in joining a club? Contact an advisor today!
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): Ms. Alizah Ross
- Amnesty International: Mr. McHugh or Mr. McDaniel
- Black Student Union (BSU): Mrs. Bratcher or Mrs. Keenan
- Book Club: Mrs. Hamilton-Parulski
- The Cardinal News (School Newspaper): Ms. Sampson or Ms. Salerno
- Chess Club: Mr. White
- DECA: Ms. Ann Ross
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA): Mr. Etter
- HOSA (Future Health Professionals): Mrs. Loving
- International Friendship Club: Ms. Schmidt
- Key Club: Mr. Olson
- Linguistics Club: Mr. Kolpin
- Philosophy Club: Mr. Kolpin
- Psychology Club: Ms. Dederich
- Student Council: Ms.Tierney
- Tosa East Environmental Club (TEEC): Ms. Oliver
- Tosa East Players: Ms. Jaskulski
- Yearbook: Ms. Dono
Library Resources Available
Our high school libraries have a new streamlined way for students to conduct research called EBSCO One-Search. Once students put in a search term, it will take them to all our content and databases that are indexed and organized in one spot.
If students are working from home, they can go to East Library Website and EBSCO One-Search box and log in with their Google credentials.
Reminder: Spring Athletics Registration
Try-out/practice start dates for our Spring sports will be a little later this year than normal. The WIAA has given schools that opted out of fall sports a chance to have a mini fall season beginning in March.
Here are the start dates for this year:
- April 12: Lacrosse
- April 19: Boys & Girls Track, Softball, Baseball and Boys Golf
- April 26: Girls Soccer
- May 3: Boys Tennis
In order to be eligible to participate on the first day of your Spring sport practice, ALL student athletes must have each of the following:
- If this is your first sport of the school year, complete the registration process on the athletic website (http://tosaeastathletics.com) by clicking on the “More” button and then the Registration button and following the instructions given. If you have already created your parent account, simply add your Spring sport. If this is your second sport of the school year, please go in to your parent account, select sport/season and grade level. Make sure all information is still correct and click submit to finish the registration.
- A current physical on file with the athletic department. If this is your second sport of the school year, we already have this on file for you. The $50 per sport athletic participation fee is due.
- A clearance card (issued when your physical is verified, online registration completed and the $50 athletic fee is paid) to be given to the coach on the first day of practice. Clearance cards will not be issued for a Spring sport to any Winter athletes that have not returned their complete uniform and any equipment to the athletic department.
Please contact Sue Flatley in the Athletic Department at 773-2032 with any questions.
Wauwatosa District Athletic and Spectator Procedures and Policies
As a reminder, only 2 family members per athlete are allowed at most events.
TOSA EAST STAFF
Wondering where to direct your question(s)?
Main line: (414) 773-2000
Tosa East Administrative Team
- Principal: Nick Hughes; (414) 773-2010
- Associate Principal (students with last names A-K): Betsy McGinnity; (414) 773-2011
- Associate Principal (students with last names L-Z): Jordan Stein; (414) 773-2012
Additional Staff Resources
- Athletic Director: Michelle Guyant-Holloway; (414) 773-2014
- Attendance: Gina Obscherning; (414) 773-2002
- Infinte Campus Parent Portal Access: Liz Hughes; (414) 773-2005
- School Fees (including athletic fees and enrollment fees): Sue Flatley; (414) 773-2032
- Student Services (transcripts, address changes, etc.): Janice Morgan; (414) 773-2030
Our Tosa East Main Office is open Monday-Friday from 7:00am-4:00pm
From School Exec Connect: Superintendent Search Update
There have been 775 surveys completed as of March 4, 2021; the survey is active until Wednesday, March 10. This is a very high number of responses but not unexpected from the Wauwatosa community.
We have completed 4 of the scheduled 15 focus groups and expect to finish on Tuesday, March 16 with a student group. Our consultants facilitate the focus groups, asking questions of the participants that provide a rich background into the thinking of the wider Wauwatosa community to guide the superintendent search and selection. We have 9 more focus groups scheduled for the coming week - groups of parents, faculty and community members. We expect to meet over 150 people through the focus group process.
The results from the surveys and the collected commentary from the focus groups will be reviewed and rendered into a one-page New Superintendent Profile, a document describing the qualities, skills and characteristics preferred in the next Wauwatosa School District Superintendent.
We have received 11 applications for the role and expect somewhere around 35-40 before the position closes on Friday, March 26. A vigorous outreach, both regionally and nationally, is being done to attract candidates who will be well-matched to Wauwatosa and to the Profile.
Questions or comments regarding the superintendent search can be directed to email@example.com.
2021-22 School Year: At-a-Glance Calendar
As we approach the 2021-22 school year, you can find the year’s at-a-glance calendar here. The calendar can also be found in the Quick Links section on the district website and on each school’s website.
Last Day of School
The last day of school is Friday, June 11, 2021 which is scheduled as a half-day of school. Please note the following arrival and dismissal times:
High School: 8:00 - 11:30 am
Middle School: 8:10 - 11:40 am
Elementary + Montessori School: 8:20 - 11:50 am
Registration for Winter/Spring programming is currently open for registration. Click here for registration information regarding No School Day Camps & Spring Stay In Camp, and join us on Saturday, March 20 for Kids Build, a fun event where kids can make their own craft in the new Wauwatosa East Tech Ed space! Click here to learn more and sign up.
Tosa Together will be holding facilitated dialogue events about Building Equity in our Schools. The next event is scheduled for Saturday, March 13, 2021. Please click here for more information.