Chinook News for Wk of 2/20-2/24
Your every Sunday oh-FISH-al school newsletter!
This Week: 2/21-2/24
- 2/21-2/24- This is a ART Week (FYI: Art/Health is on a rotating schedule)
- 2/21-2/24 - GYM Schedule / Mr. Hall OUTSIDE gym & Ms. Straubinger INSIDE gym
- 2/21-2/24 - Climate and Connectedness Family Survey Open (more info below)
- MON, 2/20 - Presidents Day holiday - No School
- FRI, 2/24 - Chinook Spirit Day
- FRI, 2/24 - Drawing #1 for a chance to win $25 Crumbl Cookie gift card! (more info below)
- 2/27 - Texas Roadhouse Dine to Donate (more info below)
- 3/3 - PTA Iditaread Read a Thon Kick off (more info to come)
- 3/10 - State released grade reporting day. End of third quarter - No School
- 3/13-3/17 - Spring break
- 3/21 - Tastee Freez Take Over (more info to come)
- 3/31 - Chinook Open Optional COSA Auction / Chinook Gym / 6-9 (more info to come)
Do you know of a child who would benefit from our Open Optional program? Spring Lottery for the 2023-2024 school year opens February 15! Want more information? Click the ASD link here.
Chinook OPEN OPTIONAL lottery!
Each spring Chinook’s Open Optional program, like alternative programs around the district, holds a lottery to enroll students for the coming school year. The window for applying for the lottery opens today, February 15th. If you have a child going into kindergarten through sixth grade this coming school year, and are interested in learning more about our program, please contact Chinook’s front office to set up a tour and a classroom visit. You can also visit our website at
Lottery applications may be filed online at the Online Lottery section of the Anchorage School District website (https://www.asdk12.org/lottery), or in person at the Chinook Elementary office. All lottery applications must be submitted by 5:00pm on Thursday, April 6. The lottery, for the 2023-2024 school year, will be held on Friday, April 7th. Notification of lottery results will begin April 14th at 5:00pm.
School Attendance: Our goal is 90%
We want to hear from YOU!
1. Complete the 2023 School Climate and Connectedness Survey (SCCS) Family survey by March 24th. (5 minutes)
2. Submit your name via this google form. (1 minute)
You will have up to 4 chances to win a $25 gift certificate. The earlier you complete the survey and submit your name via this form, the more chances you have to win!!
- Feb 24th
- March 3rd
- March 10th
- March 24th
Let's be prepared...
FYI: School Start Time Meetings and Community Forums
Coming up: Youth Art Month
The 6th gr will get the opportunity to spend time in classes and in the library, learn about elective class offerings and to submit a request for which electives to take next year. Students will have from Jan 30- Feb 10th to submit elective requests.
THINKING ABOUT SUMMER?
Some of the larger summer programs are already opening registration.
- Campfire - 3 different programs offered scholarships available and daycare assistance accepted based on program Enrollment open
- Trailside - scholarships available Enrollment open
- Dome - Scholarships available Enrollment open
- Alaska club - day care assistance accepted at some sites enrollment open
- Ymca - day care assistance accepted enrollment opens 3/1
- UAA Summer Engineering Academies - Enrollment open
* Repeat * Work with us!
- Teacher Substitute (ongoing recruitment)
- Special Education Teacher - Chinook Elementary
- Counselor - Chinook Elementary K-6
Chinook Vision Statement
We, the staff and students at Chinook Elementary, commit ourselves to working together to provide a positive and safe school environment that strives to meet the needs of our diverse community of learners.