LAVCA's Pelican Press
...Connecting our families through virtual communication
One more month!!!
It's July and school will begin before we know it! We will officially begin the year on August 9th but orientations and other important events will begin BEFORE. Be sure to check your email regularly and stay aware of what's happening in our school! We are looking forward to an amazing school year and need you to be ready to begin the week of August 6th. Orientations will occur the first three days and then we will launch online August 9th! So...squeeze that last bit of fun out of summer and we will see you soon! Questions in the meantime? Reach out at email@example.com. I'm happy to assist!
~Gina Warren, LAVCA Family Engagement Coordinator
In this issue:
- Summer Staff Availability
- 2017/18 Photo Album--What an Awesome Year!
- New to LAVCA?
- What to Expect in Elementary by Grade Level
- Quick Reach Sheet of LAVCA Staff
- DRDP for Kindergarten Students - REQUIRED
- New and Returning Family Events
- LAVCA Family Directory
- We NEED You!
- K12 Summer Camps
- Relocated or Relocating in July?
- Tech Tip for Safe Browsing
- Online and Local Summer Resources
- 2018-2019 Academic Calendar
- LEAP/iLEAP Score Update
- Summer FAQ's
Do our students socialize? Absolutely! Just take a look in the 2017-2018 Photo Album!
This document will provide the first five steps to get started at LAVCA and should be completed ASAP.
This document will provide the second five steps to get started at LAVCA and should be completed as early as possible or in June.
Kindergarten Students Should Complete the Assessment Below BEFORE August Orientations
Wondering What is Expected in the Upcoming Grade? View the Specific Recordings Below
LAVCA Quick Reference as You Prepare for 2018-2019
Use this document to put faces with names and know how to reach key "getting started" staff members.
Looking for some summer engagement opportunities? We have them for both NEW and returning families!
Virtual and Face-to-Face Events for NEW Families!
1. New Family Connections Calls from FAST-answer the phone when we call; we want to welcome you and get to know your family!
2. Virtual Summer Fun for NEW families:
- Virtual Space Camp for Kindergarten July 11 @ 3:00
- Virtual Summer Flight Crew Meet-Ups-Learn how to use the online tools and have some virtual fun at the same time (July 23rd and July 24th--links in online School under "Schedule")
- Required Virtual Orientations for NEWLY ENROLLED students will begin the week of July 23, 2018 and will be scheduled in online school under "Schedule."
- Statewide Library Liftoff Sessions for Q&A with staff July 25, 2019--schedule to be mailed out later ASAP.
- Live Help Sessions with FAST will begin July 30th, 2019
3. Mandatory Face-to-Face Orientation Sessions for New Families, Transitioning Grades (6th and 8th), and any odd grades that need vision or hearing screenings (K5, 1,3,5,7,9,11)
- August 6 to 8, 2018 Across the State
*Specific times and locations TBA - watch your email and newsletters.
4. K12's Virtual Summer Clubs (For BOTH New and Returning Families)
Our free online summer camps are a great way to get and stay connected to your school community this summer. These virtual camps are each only one-hour long and are scheduled late-June through mid-August. Get ready to make new friends, have fun and explore interesting topics! To learn more, click the button below!
We NEED to connect...please participate!!!
Willing to be a resource for our newer or transitioning families?
- Have a great tip for our families from organization to schooling many? Please share them with me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: tip
- Willing to participate in virtual lift-ups for LCs? Just once a month but our FEC would love for you to join us! Contact me at email@example.com with the subject: Lift-Ups for LCs
- Willing to be a mentor to a new family or new student? (Students CAN mentor with parental permission). Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: mentor
- Any other great ideas to support our families? Contact me!!!!
Moving over the summer or need some information updated while our staff is away? No worries!
Requests for address changes, transcripts, proof of enrollment and other updates for student records will need to go to the following staff members through July 23rd. After that, contact your homeroom teachers.
K-7th Grades: email@example.com
8th - 12th Grades: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE note that address updates will require the attachment of two proofs or residence with the LC's name listed
- Learning Coach telephone numbers and email addresses can be updated within the LC Account under "My Info."
Safe Browsing Colors
Everyone should be familiar with the lock symbol on the website URL address line and know to not enter any confidential information when the lock is open or there is no "s" on the https://. But have you noticed that color has come to the browsing world?
Depending on the browser, used you'll notice a color-coded safety rating. Green means Google or other entities have determined this site has not been compromised. And, as Google themselves point out - a previously safe site may have been compromised so it’s always a good habit to always check the color coding and for the lock symbol.
Here's a useful website if you're not using chrome for browsing to get the same safety details:
Additional Summer Resources for the Entire Family:
Summer Reading Programs: http://freebies.about.com/od/familyfreestuff/tp/summer-reading.htm
- Download the summer reading journal.
- Have your child read ANY 8 books this summer and record them in the journal.
- Head to your nearest Barnes & Noble and turn in the completed journal by September 3rd, 2018. Find a location near you.
- Choose a free book from the books listed on the back of the reading journal – limit one free book per child!
- A Welcome Letter with need-to-know summer reading tips
- An exclusive membership certificate for your child to color
- A kid-friendly reading log and special Kindness Kingdom Book Report, so your child can track this summer’s adventures
- A recommended reading list, highlighting favorite books to build kindness in children as young as infants through early elementary
- Official Club activities for your child to enjoy
- And more — all for FREE!
All of this will be emailed for FREE to your inbox when you join the Barefoot Books Summer Reading Club.
Chuck E. Cheese: Chuck E. Cheese has a reading program (as well as other reward programs) where kids can earn 10 FREE Chuck E. Cheese tokens for reading every day for 2 weeks. This promotion is valid all year round. Note that a food purchase is required in order to redeem 10 tokens.
Half Price Books: From June 1st through July 31st, kids aged 14 and under (or 8th grade and under) can earn $5 Bookworm Bucks (store credit) to use in the store whenever they’ve read 300+ minutes. Just download and use this reading log, add up your minutes, and have a parent/guardian initial each week.
Then bring the reading log to your local Half Price Books to claim your Bookworm Bucks on or before August 30th, 2018. Each child can earn $5 Bookworm Bucks for the month of June AND $5 for July.
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge: The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is a FREE online reading program for children that runs now through September 8th, 2018. After registering, kiddos can read as many minutes as they can, log their minutes, and then earn digital rewards as they complete weekly reading challenges! Visit Scholastic’s site for more details and to see the book list.
Pizza Hut Book It Program: To help increase reading time during the summer months, the Pizza Hut BOOK IT! Program has partnered with Candlewick Press to bring your kids summer reading activities. Just visit the BOOK IT! siteand click on the links to learn more about the books and to download the activities. Also, be sure to follow them on Facebook for chances to win awesome prize packs this summer!
Books-A-Million: This summer, when you read any 4 books from the Books-A-Million Summer Reading Challenge selection in-stores and online, you’ll receive a FREE Pencil Case with Pencils! Note that you must present the completed reading journal in-store to receive the freebie, while supplies last.
SYNC Audiobooks for Teens: SYNC is a FREE program for readers ages 13+ that gives away 2 FREE complete audiobook downloads every week each Summer. Through July 26th, each week SYNC features high-interest titles based on weekly themes, and the files are available from Thursday morning 7am Eastern Time until the following Thursday morning at 7am Eastern time when the new audiobook titles become available.
Bowling Fun (make it a group for socialization): http://www.kidsbowlfree.com/
Local Fun by area (these are great pages to bookmark for updates):
1. 40 Free or Nearly Free Summer Activities: http://www.thecentsiblelife.com/40-free-or-nearly-free-summer-activities-for-kids/
2. New Orleans Area: http://www.new-orleans.macaronikid.com/
3. Houma Area: http://houma.macaronikid.com/calendar/
4. Lafayette Area: http://lafayettela.macaronikid.com/calendar/
6. Lake Charles Area: http://www.visitlakecharles.org/things-to-do/kids/
7. Hammond Area: http://www.tripbuzz.com/free-things-to-do/hammond-la
8. Shreveport Area: http://shreveport.macaronikid.com/calendar/
9. Baton Rouge Area: http://www.louisianatravel.com/articles/things-do-kids-plantation-country
Test scores will be distributed within the next few weeks as they are received..
FAQ's for New and Returning Families:
What should I do before the first day of school?
- Ensure that you have a strong internet connection for your student.
- · Make yourself available for a “Connection Call” from our staff! It will only take a few minutes and we want to get to know you!
- · Create both LC and student accounts and check email daily (student emails are copied to LC emails).
- · Attend our Face-to-Face Orientations for new families. This is expected for everyone. Vision and hearing screenings will take place for all odd grades and this is a hands-on opportunity for our families to meet staff and learn how to navigate within the online school.
- · Join us for one of our Summer Social Hours hosted virtually. You will learn more about our school and have the chance to learn how to use the virtual classroom tools in a fun and relaxing way!
- · Establish a proper work area for your students(s).
- · View the helpful videos located on our web page under "Community Events" and "Strong Start."
- · Complete required welcome courses and diagnostic assessments. The mandatory Welcome Courses will populate the week of July 26th for students that are enrolled before that date and information about diagnostic assessments will also be communicated within the same time frame.
When can my child’s courses be seen in the online school?
· If your student(s) enrolled by July 1, their courses could begin populating within the online school in mid to late July.
When will my materials arrive?
-Materials should begin going out in mid to late July.
Can my student begin working on their lessons early?
·The courses will not open until August 9th except for the Welcome Course which should begin showing the final week in July.
What if materials are missing or there are issues with my computer?
· Contact K12 directly at 1-866-512-2273
Will my materials and loaner hardware arrive at the same time (if my student qualified for loaner hardware)?
· The materials and hardware will ship the same week but may arrive separately. LCs can check under “MY INFO” for information about all shipments.