Lord of the Flies Project
Types of Governments
Jack's tribe is an example of a totalitarian government. It is run by a dictator, which is Jack. A totalitarian government is a form of government that permits no individual freedom and puts all emphasis on the authority of the state. It is usually run by a single party or dictator, which is usually very oppressive.
"He's going to beat Wilfred."
This shows that it is a totalitarian government because someone is being punished, and no one knows why or will question it.
Ralph's tribe is an example of a democracy. A democracy is a system of government made up of the whole population of the state. All people get a say in the government, and individual freedom is stressed.
"We ought to have a meeting." (chapter 1)
This shows that it is a democracy because everyone is at the meeting and everyone will know what the decision is.
1. Every citizen will have equal representation in the government.
2. When a problem arises, a meeting will be held and different solutions will be proposed by the people, and voted on at the end.
3. These meeting will be lead by a single elected chief. The chief will still have the same voting power as everyone else.
4. If any person notices any problems, they can submit a request for a meeting to the chief.
5. Each person will participate in the survival efforts of the group to a certain degree.
6. If a person does not do their part, they will be given a warning and required to do a certain amount of work.
7. If there is a food shortage, everyone will be responsible for collecting food for the population.
8. No stealing of others' personal property.
9. Murder is punishable by exile.
10. Exile will be determined by a vote of the entire population.
These rules will be enforced by every member of the government.
The fighting between the two group got so bad that Jack's tribe began trying to kill members a Ralph's tribe.
"A Synopsis of TheIsrael/Palestine Conflict." A Synopsis of the Israel/Palestine Conflict. If Americans Knew, n.d. Web. 01 May 2015.
"Totalitarianism | Government." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 01 May 2015.