"Off to a Good Start" In Your Second Language Assignment
Are you new to a second language teaching assignment, or are you an experienced languages teacher? The Institute for Innovation in Second Language Education (IISLE) offers a 2-day workshop for language teachers to help you get a great start to your year. Attend Day 1 to receive a grounding in the teaching and learning of second languages, critical resources and approaches to planning. Attend Day 2 if you have previously attended OTAGS and/or used authentic performance tasks and wish to spend the day doing intensive planning with colleagues and a consultant. On both days, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with teachers in their language and program area.
New to OTAGS
Monday August 26, 2013 - Language Proficiency: The Big Idea - if you need a grounding or refresher in the teaching and learning of second languages, critical resources and approaches to planning.
- Elements of a great L2 program
- Policies and regulations for L2 programs
- Strategies for target language use
- Assessment issues in L2 programs
- Your program of studies
- How to plan using the program of studies
Tuesday August 27, 2013 – Take Time to Plan - if you have previously attended OTAGS and/or use authentic performance tasks and wish to spend the day planning with colleagues.
- Plan for worthwhile performance tasks
- Use critical resources
- Organize for instruction
- Plan with colleagues with support from L2 consultants
Pre-registation is required as space is limited!
is required as space is limited. Click here to register.
- This link will take you to the EPS portal. You will need to use your network login to get into the portal and to register yourself. Enter Subject: OTAGS to search for these sessions (only search by entering subject)
Please register by Friday August 23, 2013
- If you cancel your registration, please contact Charlotte Smith, ph: 780-429-8631
What to Bring:
· Your appropriate program of studies
· For FSL teachers only: French as a Second Language Program Articulation for your division level
· Laptop (if possible)
Lunch: Bring your own lunch or plan to eat out.
International Languages - Melody Kostiuk, ph: 780-498-8782
French Immersion - Marie Commance-Shulko, ph: 780-429-8293
Bilingual Programs - Norman Sieweke, ph: 780-429-8207