GEMS 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony
Promotion held June 8th, 9:00 a.m., on GEMS Blacktop
Guests at promotion
We will NOT be opening the main gate on Third/M Street or the L Street gate. There will be a sign marking the entrance.
Guest seating and viewing
- GEMS will not be providing chairs for guests. If you would like to be seated for the ceremony, you will need to bring your own chair.
- No blanket reservations or group areas.
- We will not be able to accommodate shade structures, umbrellas, pop-ups, etc. Please come prepared for the weather. The morning sun in June can be intense!
- Please be considerate of others and do not bring items that will block the view of others, such as balloons.
The promotion ceremony on the blacktop is wheelchair accessible.
If you have a family member that may need special assistance please have them enter through the office after 8:10 and we can help seat them.
Overview of the promotion ceremony
The promotion ceremony will be held on the GEMS blacktop and will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 8th.
Gates will lock at 8:55 a.m. We will not open the gates until the conclusion of the ceremony.
Parents and family are only allowed on the blacktop area of the field where the ceremony is being held.
The recording of the ceremony will be posted within an hour of the promotion ending.
Upon completion of the promotion ceremony, we will clear the area in a predetermined order.
- Guests will exit the field through the same gate in which they entered (on the field).
- If the early check-out form was not completed, your student will be escorted back to their classroom. (please see below for early check-out form)
- If you did complete the early check-out form, your student will be wearing a wristband which will indicate to our staff they are cleared to leave early. Students who are wearing these wristbands will not return to class and may leave with their families.
Please note: For those students who are wearing a wristband, there will be a very short amount of time for pictures/celebrations as school is still in session for our 6th and 7th-grade students and we will need to have the campus cleared by 10:45 am.
Early check out process form the promoting students.
We understand that promotion day is a day of celebration with families and students. Part of that celebration traditionally has begun with promoting students being checked out of school early to participate in off-campus celebrations.
- Please click here to sign your child out for early checkout. Students who check out early will be issued a wristband that will be checked at the gate when they exit. We encourage you to sign up early.
- The last day to check your child out will be June 6th. The entry form will be turned off at the end of the day. We need this time to make sure that all students have a wristband ready for them.