RRHS Update - Week of 4/5/2021
In this edition: Inspiration from the BAND, This Week in Athletics, PTSO News, Yearbook and Senior Pix, Counseling and Career Center News!
THE RRHS Band!
This Week in Athletics!
Monday April 5th
Golf @ Landsdown vs. Freedom/Riverside, 9 a.m.
Tuesday April 6th
Field Hockey @ Stone Bridge vs. Potomac Falls, 7:30 p.m. Bus at 5:15 p.m.
Wednesday April 7th
Cross Country vs. Freedom, 3 p.m.
Thursday April 8th
Field Hockey vs Riverside, 5 p.m.
Volleyball @ Freedom, 6/7 p.m. JV bus at 4:30 p.m. Varsity bus at 5:30 p.m.
Cheer @ Regionals at Stone Bridge, Bus at 4:45 p.m.
Friday April 9th
Varsity Football vs. Warren County, 7 p.m.
Welcome back! Hope everyone had a wonderful, relaxing spring break!
NEW FUNDRAISER: Our PTSO funds are desperately low and we hope we can count on you to change that!
WHAT: 100% contactless, 100% digital Fundraiser offering “NATIONAL VIP SAVINGS PASS” that offers discounts on thousands of retailers, all from your phone!
WHEN: April 6th -18th
WHO: YOU+ME=WE! Together, we’re ROCK STRONG!
HOW: Invite friends, family, coworkers by text, email or through the “MyDeals” App (your student will learn how in Advisory on Tuesday)
WHY: We want to both finish and, start next year strong! To do that, we need money to pay for celebrations, supplies, enrichment learning & more!
*Prizes & Incentives galore! * Cost: $25 each * We earn 60% proceeds *
Please, we need EVERYONE to sell at least ONE so we can REWARD YOU w/ “ROCK STRONG” Spirit wear T-shirt to memorialize and recognize the incredible resilience, determination and effort each and every one of us gave this past year!
ADD TO YOUR CALENDAR:
- Next PTSO Meeting: Please join us this Thursday April 8th, 2021 at 7PM. Invite: Meet
- NEXT Spirit Night: @Burger 21: April 12th at from 5-9 PM. (See attached for more details)
VOLUNTEERS: We NEED YOU! The PTSO is actively looking to fill these Board & other positions for this and next year:
- PRESIDENT(For next year): (or two Co-Presidents who wish to share responsibility): preside over all meetings of the Board of Directors; coordinate the work of the officers and committees of the Organization in order that the Objectives may be promoted, you are naturally good at leading, organizing and managing projects.
- TREASURER (For next year): Keep a full and accurate account of receipts and expenditures, present monthly financial statements at Board Meetings, have custody of all the funds of the PTSO, deposit funds, make disbursements as authorized by the Board of Directors
- SECRETARY (For this and next year): Attend monthly PTSO meetings, record meeting minutes, other admin type duties to assist President as needed.
- COMMITTEE LEAD (For this and next year): we are creating several smaller roles for people to help in concentrated ways by taking ownership of one project or area.
- EXCEL EXPERT(For this and next year): are you a whiz at Excel? We need help from time to time creating spreadsheets with formulations and correlation.
- GOOGLE DOCS PRO (For this and next year): are you in the know about Google features? We need help from time to time with creating sign ups and surveys.
- GENERAL HELP (For this and next year): organizing, occasional tasks or errands, creating marketing materials/flyers, posting on social media. Whatever your talent, we could use your help.
- IT LEAD (For this and next year) : We need technical help, building a simple website, integrating several options for secure digital payments, venmo, square, and other things.
- TAW (Teacher Appreciation Week - this year): is May 3rd and we need help the week before and every day 5/3-7 for short periods of time
If you are willing to help please email email@example.com or come to our next meeting April 8th, to learn more. Elections occur during May 6th meeting.
- PTSO SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS due in Naviance by 4/21. You MUST be signed up as a member of the PTSO as of 4/5 to apply. Join FREE HERE
- Be on the lookout in the coming weeks to sign up to help with senior week celebrations.
JOIN US! OUR PTSO welcomes ALL Parents to get involved, build community and, BE A ROCK of support for
our children and school!
Yearbooks and Senior Pictures!
BUY YOUR YEARBOOK NOW! BOOKS ARE RUNNING OUT!
There are ONLY 145 yearbooks left! No more yearbooks can be ordered… once they are gone, they’re gone. Check here to see if you have ordered one. If your name is not on the list, buy yours while you still can! The online order center closes on April 17. After that, the price will increase to $80 and books will have to be purchased through the school. Go to www.yearbookordercenter.com to buy yours now while you still can and before the price goes up!
LAST CHANCE FOR SENIOR CAP AND GOWN PORTRAITS- APRIL 5
Pictures will be taken April 5 from 9 am- 3 pm. You must bring your own cap and gown for the picture. To sign up for an appointment visit this link: pickatime.com/vosphoto/rockridgecapngown
The Cap and Gown Session includes a series of photos 6-8 photos in the student's own cap and gown. Images will be uploaded to the student's senior portrait gallery for viewing/ordering. Those that signed up for the standard or deluxe session during their previously held senior portrait session will receive a $10 discount code to apply to a future portrait purchase. This will be given upon checking out on the cap and gown portrait day.
Seniors now that all college decision are out, please send Mrs. Barnes your college acceptances. Please e-mail Mary.Barnes@lcps.org
Mindfulness Monday is a great way to start your week off on a positive note. Mindfulness has been shown to reduce stress, increase mental well-being and increase focus. Join our Schoology Group! Schoology Access Code: JBVT-SSV5-9TPTZ Google Meets nickname is located in Schoology.
4/8: Spring College Panel for Juniors at 7:00 PM. We have eight college admission reps from a variety of schools who will provide advice on the college application process and answer questions. See attached flyer for more information. There is no registration. The link to attend send out Wednesday. Any interest students/parents can attend. Most of the information will be geared towards the Class of 2022 but the information is useful for all still planning for beyond high school.
4/18 & 4/29: Big Future Days – Regional college fairs put on by College Board. Register here.
4/7: College Panels - This is a great event put on by the Virginia Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. You basically have a buffet of college panels you can choose to attend. Register here.
If you missed the Summer and Part Time Job Fair, no worries. We have converted it to a job site so you can continue to look for jobs and volunteer opportunities.
Upcoming Course Selection for the 2021-2022 School Year
9th & 10th graders, thank you to the majority that met with their counselor to discuss & select courses. If you have not met with your counselor & would like to do so, please reach out via email.
11th grade students if you have not done so already, please schedule your individual academic counseling session with your counselor to discuss & select courses for the 2021-2022 school year and also discuss your post-high school plans.
Students Last Name
Jarrel.Taylor@lcps.org & Maria.Dacey@lcps.org
Students can schedule their appointment via this link: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/RockRidgeCounseling2@lcpsorg.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/
- 11th Grade :: March 15 – April 26
Career Center News!
UPCOMING RRHS VIRTUAL EVENTS:
3/27: Hack Phoenix - Looking to earn recognition for problem solving and computer science skills? Register for Rock Ridge's first virtual hackathon - Hack Phoenix. This Spring Break join us to build extraordinary projects and compete for a chance to win a cash reward! Proceeds will be donated to the Mobile Hope to provide support for young, homeless individuals during the pandemic. Computer science and engineering backgrounds are not required. For information and registration, view here.
3/27- 4/18: Take a practice SAT or ACT when it fits your schedule between 3/27 and 4/18.
With Loudoun Test Prep, you can sign up whenever you like, so you don’t have to pick a specific time/day. Then print out the test and start the online proctoring system whenever you would like. https://loudountestprep.com/ltp-test-signup-form/ Select 'SAT Diagnostic' or 'ACT Diagnostic'. Put the following code in the notes so LTP knows it is a Rock Ridge student: RRHS2021
4/6: Monthly NOVA Rep Virtual Visit – Sign up via Naviance to learn how to apply to NOVA, learn about NOVA Advance and upcoming orientations.
4/8: Spring College Panel for Juniors at 7:00 PM. We have eight college admission reps from a variety of schools who will provide advice on the college application process and answer questions. See attached flyer for more information. There is no registration. The link to attend will be out the week of 4/5.
4/19: AWS Workshops – this is a great way to gain exposure to very hot growing career areas as presented by Amazon Web Services personnel. No experience is needed, just curiosity. These workshops are open to all grade levels. Learn more in the attached flyer and sign up via Naviance.
11:00 AM – Intro to Cloud Computing
1:00 PM - Intro to AI and ML
2:30 PM – Intro to Big Data
4/19: Penn State Virtual Visit at Noon – Juniors, if you have not done a virtual rep visit yet this is a great one to start and then you’ll know what to expect for the Fall. Please sign up via Naviance.
4/22: Parent Coffee for Freshmen parents at 8:30 AM. Topics to cover; talking about college with your student, planning ahead and navigating Naviance.
5/10: Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising at 11:30 AM. Sign up via Naviance.