The Pirate Press
A Weekly Update for Acton Elementary Families
Acton Update - 7/29/22
This week April Strickland, our Instructional Specialist and Haley Briggs, our Intervention Program Specialist joined us on campus! April and Haley will provide instructional support to our teachers and will ensure that the appropriate interventions and extensions are in place to guarantee a full year of academic growth for all students.
Meet Mrs. Strickland
My name is April Strickland. This will be my 21st year in education. I have taught many different grade levels, including special education. I have worked as an Instructional Specialist and Reading Coach, as well as an Education Consultant for Region 18 Education Service Center in Midland, Texas. I became part of the Acton Elementary family in 2015 and have loved every second! I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from Oklahoma Panhandle State University. I hold a teaching certificate in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I am certified early childhood through sixth grade.
My husband, Jess, and I have been married for 24 years and are blessed with two beautiful daughters. Audra(20) is in her third year at Angelo State University. Lydia(17) is a senior at Granbury High School. We have two rotten Australian Shepards, Pearl and Rosie. We love to spend time outdoors and travel.
I am honored to be in this role continuing to serve our teachers, students, and families! AES is truly the best!
Meet Mrs. Briggs
My name is Haley Briggs, and I will be serving as IPS this year. This is my fifth year working for Granbury ISD, but I am only just beginning at Acton Elementary. I have taught reading and writing in grades 4 and 6, but I mostly recently served as an instructional specialist at my previous campus. I graduated from Dallas Baptist University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education in 2017. Shortly after, I decided to return to DBU, where I obtained a Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in Educational Leadership in May of 2022.
While I am not yet married with children, I am blessed with an incredible support system made up of family and friends. When I am not working, I enjoy traveling on mission trips and forming friendships with people from all over the world. I couldn’t be more thrilled to be a part of this school family, and I am so excited to see what this year has in store!
These two positions are invaluable to the success of our campus and we are thrilled for both of these women to join our team in these capacities!
Don't forget, Popsicles with the Principals is this coming Tuesday, August 2nd from 6:30 - 7:30 on the AES Playground. We hope to see you all there!
A few REMINDERS:
- ALL students (including returning students) must be registered in Skyward. Information about GISD registration can be found here.
- Be sure to connect with us on remind: text @aesupdates to 81010.
- Take a look at the important upcoming dates that are listed below.
- GISD school supply lists can be found here.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to my via email @ email@example.com or via phone @ 817-408-4200.
With love and gratitude,
Upcoming Dates - Semester at a Glance
- August 2nd - Popsicles with Principals (6:30pm - 7:30pm, AES Playground)
- August 10th - Online Registration Event @Rancho Brazos Community Center (11-1 & 5-7)
- August 11th - Meet the Teacher (5:30pm - 7:00pm)
- August 16th - First Day of School
- August 26th - Milers Club Kickoff
- September 5th - Student/Staff Holiday
- September 6th - 5th Grade Camp Grady Spruce Meeting (6:00pm - 7:00pm)
- September 12th - September 16th - AES Book Fair
- September 13th - Grandparent's Day Lunch (during regular lunch times)
- September 20th - Back to School Bingo (5:30pm - 7:00pm)
- September 21st - Fall Picture Day
- September 23rd - Staff Day/Student Holiday (End of GP1)
- October 12th - October 14th - 5th Grade to Camp Grady Spruce
- October 25th - November 4th - Boosterthon
- October 31st - Character Costume Day
- November 17th - Fall Picture Retakes
- November 21st - November 25th - Thanksgiving Break
- December 17th - January 9th - Winter Break
STAY IN THE KNOW WITH REMIND
To sign up for AES Family Updates notifications, text @aesupdates to 81010