Laurel Family Newsletter
Laurel Letter (LL): Week of Sept. 21st
Important i-Ready Diagnostic testing : 2nd update
School-wide, we are more than half way done with i-Ready diagnostic testing in math and reading.
- 74% complete in Reading
- 66% complete in Math
Thank you for your support and please continue to encourage your child to complete the test. Deadline to complete both diagnostic tests is September 25th.
If you have questions about the diagnostic test, please contact your child's teacher.
A reminder that the most important thing you can do to help with this diagnostic test is:
Do not help your child with understanding or answering questions on the test.
Laurel Counseling Corner: Update
This month our school counselor, Ms. Kutches, kicked off the social emotional lessons for the year. This first lesson was about self-awareness and focused on identifying feelings. To learn more about this topic and get additional resources, please check out the monthly counseling newsletter linked below:
Additionally, to provide an optional social space for students, Ms. Kutches has started a weekly online “Lunch Bunch”.
- Here, students can share with friends from different classrooms, and participate in games and activities.
- Lunch Bunch will take place on Mondays from 1:00-1:30 for 2nd-3rd grades and on Thursdays from 12:50-1:20 for 4th-5th grades.
- To join, students can get the zoom information from their teacher.
Coming Soon: Outdoor Outreach for Laurel Students
In collaboration with Palomar Family Counseling, the San Diego Outdoor Outreach will be offering outdoor activities (hiking, mountain biking, paddle boarding, snow boarding, etc.) to Laurel students for free.
- Families will have one activity out of 31 different outdoor activities to choose from in the next few months
- A Charter bus will transport students to the event
- More details and a flyer about this wonderful outdoor experience will be sent to you later this week.
Please check out the link below to learn more about the Outdoor Outreach organization.
Dinosaur School is Back, Virtually! Sign Up Now
Palomar Family Counseling Service is excited to be able to continue to provide Dinosaur School virtually for students K- 3rd grade, which utilizes the Incredible Years Social Skills and Problem-Solving Curriculum.
Some of the topics we discuss and practice in small groups are: Classroom Rules, Understanding and Managing our Feelings, Problem Solving, and Friendly Skills.
- If you are unfamiliar with Dinosaur School, you can go to our YouTube channel, where we will continue to provide weekly lessons throughout the virtual school year: http://www.youtube.com/c/DinoSchool1234.
- Zoom will be used for our small groups, which will meet for 20-30 minutes weekly, and will last from eight-ten weeks.
- In order for your child to participate in small groups, you will need to begin by filling out the following form: https://forms.gle/SQgzuiY1P6T9PiP59
If you have any further questions about Dinosaur School, you can contact me at 760-705-4655 or Emily.Shoots@palomarfamily.org.
Reminder: Personal Tutoring with Virtual Support Teachers
All OUSD students now have have access to evening instructional support.
- There are two ways students can seek support: request individual virtual tutoring appointments between 1:15 PM - 3:45 PM and/or attend open zoom tutoring hours from 4:00 PM -7:30 PM Monday through Friday.
- Click here to visit for tutoring & support: Virtual Support Teacher website
Please check with your child's teacher if you have questions and encourage your students to drop in to ask questions and get support they need.
School Staff & District Help
OUSD Technology Service Desk
Available to students & parents/guardians for assistance with OUSD devices, OUSD account issues, connectivity, and general technical support for teaching & learning
Hours: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
ITS Site: oside.us/its
Tech Support Site: oside.us/techsupport