Grade 5, Gifted!
Mr. Horak's Weekly Update (September 7-11)
The 5th grade gifted classes are beginning a new communication system to help parents start academic conversations with their children. We will begin sending home our learning goals for the week, to help parents talk about what we did for the day and week. This means no more “What did you do today?” with the response of “nothing much” or “I don’t remember.”
1. Who were Lewis and Clark, and why were they important to the expansion of the United States?
2. What skills did both Lewis and Clark possess to ensure they were successful in their expedition of the new territory?
3. What roles did Sacagawea and York play in assisting both Lewis and Clark on their exploration?
4. How did the Corp of Discovery interact with the indigenous people of the new territory? What people did they meet, and how did this affect their outcome?
Skill sets: (Tuesday-Friday)
1. What do both botanists and naturalists have in common?
2. How do I sight quotes, and how do they support my opinion?
3. Why is a picture walk important when reading?
4. Why is it important to justify my opinions with fact-based material?
1. What do I mean by “Paint me a picture” when writing?
2. When writing to inform, what skills do you rely on to convey your message?
3. How does P.O.V. (point of view)/ perspective writing help the writer build better descriptive writing?
4. What is figurative language and how can I apply it to my writing?
1. How do I relate multiplication to division?
2. How do I use Problem-Solving to help with multiplication and division?
3. How can you use a numerical expression to describe a situation?
4. How do I use the “Order of Operations” to solve problems? “PEMDAS”
1. What is the scientific method and WHY is it important?
2. What are scientific inquiry tools and how do we use them?
3. What are the differences between a science investigation and an experiment?
4. How Do Scientists Learn about the Real World?
*We will continue to read from the book, "The Phantom Tollbooth" and follow Milo's epic adventure!
*Students should be preparing for our physical geography test this Friday September 11th.
* Scholar should also continue to work on completing the sections of their Do-Decagon. Do-Decagons are due Monday morning, September 14, 2015. Complete and stapled.
Lewis and Clark
The Corps of Discovery unit, led by Lewis and Clark traveled 1000's of miles, exploring lands and rivers. Our journey is to travel along with these naturalists, and understand the importance of this expedition.
Who is King Azaz? Who is his infamous brother? What is the story behind the royal family? The answers to these questions and more await.....
Naturalists and Observers...
What do naturalists offer to our ecosystems? How can we be naturalists and observers? We will discover the importance of these investigations in nature, and we will explore the lives of some famous naturalists as well.