RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School
Principal's Weekly Update - 10/11/22
Translation of the Principal's Weekly Message/Traduccion Del Semanario Del Director
- At the top there is a black menu bar and pick the option that says "Translate."
- Select the language you would like the newsletter to be translated into and it will translate on the webpage.
¿Quiere que le traduzcan este boletín? Estos son los pasos a seguir:
- En la parte superior hay una barra de menú negra y elige la opción que dice "Traducir".
- Selecciona el idioma al que quieres que se traduzca el boletín y se traducirá en la página web.
Community and Celebration!
Last week brought immense joy, as hundreds (yes, hundreds!), of our community members attended Open House on Thursday evening. It was amazing to see everyone in person, exploring the school and learning spaces with our students.
In addition to the incredible turnout, we had a few very successful events during Open House:
- Grade 5 Fundraiser Art and Bake Sale - Grade 5 students raised over $1600 in art and bake sales (and a generous donation from the PTO!). The funds will be dispersed to those who have been impacted by Hurricane Fiona. Thank you to all who contributed and to our amazing Grade 5 students and team who put their hearts and efforts into discussing, planning, preparing, and volunteering! We are so proud of you!
- Scholastic Book Sale - Our Scholastic Book Sale sold more than $3000 worth of books, a record number of sales. Thank you to all who organized and volunteered at this event and Stacia Potter for all of her hard work putting it all together! We plan to host another book sale later in the school year through a local bookstore.
- Photo Opportunity Update - For those who took pictures outside at Open House, we will be sending home printed 5 X 7 photographs with students in the next week or so. We also plan to provide opportunities for students to take pictures during the day with their class, so all students have a fall time image.
RK Finn Ryan Road School Council - In Search of New Council Member - Submit Interest by Friday, October 14th!
If you are interested in joining, there will be a sign up sheet in the library near the conference sign up sheets or you can email the RK Finn Ryan Road PTO at email@example.com
Below is some information regarding serving on a School Council.
A Few Reminders...
- Lost/Forgotten Attire: Please be sure to send your child with layers AND encourage them to take their layers home with them! We have an abundance of clothing items accumulating at school and we are unable to keep them indefinitely. Below are some pictures of what we have. If no one claims these items, we will kindly donate them.
- Personal Items: Please do not allow students to bring items of personal or financial significance to school. Students have lots of fun things to use at school and bringing additional items for use, trade, or otherwise can create tricky or sad situations.
RK Finn Loves and Learns About Nature!
RK Finn Ryan Road Student Leadership Opportunities
As a reminder, Ms. Minton has shared forms with students in Grades 3, 4, and 5 to complete if they would like to help us make these announcements, select a song, help with breakfast, and help with various leadership activities throughout the year!
Below is the link to the document or your child can ask Ms. Minton if they need another copy!
RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School - 2022-2023 Meeting Dates
Meetings (via Zoom - line sent on the day-of-ish) 6:30pm to 7:00pm:
No December Meeting
No June Meeting
RKFRR Health Screening Letter to Caregivers - English and Spanish
REAL (Racial Equity & Learning)
REAL (Racial Equity & Learning) brings together Northampton public school teachers, staff, students (middle school and up) & caregivers who are committed to developing an intentionally anti-racist district. Those of us involved are deepening our understanding of how race, racism, and whiteness operate in the Northampton Public Schools and beyond. We are working together and across our community to envision and create schools with diverse racial representation, belonging and celebration - in staffing, curriculum and community building.
REAL will be hosting an open meeting via zoom on Sunday, November 6 from 6-7:30pm. This will be an opportunity for anyone affiliated with our district to learn more about REAL, including ways to get involved; and for current members to (re)connect in a less structured/more social environment than our current subcommittee meetings.
If you would like to receive the Zoom link for the meeting OR are unable to attend the open meeting but would like to learn more about REAL, please contact REAL’s NHS parent representative, Jenny Bender, at firstname.lastname@example.org
And please check out our website at https://realnorthampton.com and follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/REALNoho) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/real_noho)!
2022 Annual SEPAC Needs Assessment Survey: Due October 15th
Your opinion matters! Please take a moment to complete our 5-minute 2022 Annual Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC) Needs Assessment Survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPSSEPAC1
This survey is designed to seek opinions and ideas from parents of children with IEPs/504 plans and other interested parties. The questions help us better identify your specific SEPAC needs and assess the status of the district in areas like family and community outreach and compliance. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Book Fair Help - Thank you Stacia Potter, Gina DeFrancesco-Krososc, and Kim Mayhew for all of your help organizing, setting up, and taking down the Scholastic Book Fair!
- RK Finn Ryan Road PTO Board Members - Thank you for the many hours you put in each week! This week was fulfilling teacher material requests, counting and distributing art and bake sale funds, supporting the printing of open house pictures, working on the yearbook, and responding to every single email in an impressively timely manner! We are grateful for you all! https://ryanroadpto.org/
After School Options
- This week there will ONLY be a Wednesday session on October 12 (this is to keep the sessions even due to the 1/2 days coming later this month).
- The full program will start next week on Tuesday, October 18th.
- There will be no YEP sessions on Wednesday, October 19th due t the 1/2 day.
- The week of October 24 there will be no YEP sessions due to the conference schedule.
YMCA: The YMCA. Hampshire YMCA runs an afterschool program at the school until 6pm. Space is limited. Contact the Hampshire YMCA directly for more information.
Upcoming Dates and Reminders
SAVE THE DATE - NEF Spelling Bee - Wednesday, October 19 @ 6pm (JFK Cafeteria)
School Calendars (NPS and RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School)
Stay up to date with all of our school activities on our School Website’s Calendar!
- Wednesday, October 19 - 1/2 Day - Teacher Work Day
- Monday, October 24 - Friday, October 28 - 1/2 Days - Elementary Conferences*
- Tuesday, October 25 & Thursday, October 27 - Evening Conferences*
*If you have not yet signed up for a conference, please reach out to your student's teacher to do so at your earliest convenience. Thank you!*
October Lunch Menu
Lunch Update: Week of October 11 - October 14
Wednesday 10/12 will be Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Thursday 10/13 will be Pasta and Meatballs
As always, we hope that all families and caregivers feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. I am happy to meet with any of you or we can talk on the phone anytime.
Karen Albano, Principal
RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School