Sporting Events In The 1930s
People and Teams who have changed sporting events
Fight For The Sport You Love
September 14th 1930- (as Portsmouth Spartans) play 1st NFL game, win 13-6
- The NFL's first televised game came on October 22, 1939 when NBC broadcast the game to a limited number of homes in New York
- The tradition of a Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit began in 1934 after the Portsmouth Spartans relocated to the Motor City and became the Lions.
- Louise Stokes was the first African-American woman to qualify for the Olympics, along with teammate Tydie Pickett.
- Strokes got a place on the 1932 Los Angles Olympics but unfortunately two white competitors replaced them.
- Stokes qualified for the Olympics in Berlin in 1936, but once again, a white woman took her place on the field and she was not allowed to compete.
August 16-1936- Basketball becomes an official Olympic sport. The United States defeats Canada 19-8 for the gold medal. The games were played in Berlin, Germany. The Olympic basketball games are still played in 2014
December 29, 1934- The first college basketball doubleheader is played at Madison Square Garden