Is It Okay To Hurt Yourself?
Ingredients in Cigarettes
The are 600 different ingrdents in cigarettes. Some of these ingredients are poisonous and are also know to cause cancer. Here are a few of them...
- Ammonia – a common household cleaner
- Arsenic – used in rat poison
- Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
- Nicotine - this is what makes the cigarettes addicting
- Tar – material for paving roads
- Changes in brain chemistry
- Increased repiration and heart rate
- Dulled taste buds
- Reduced appetite
- Bad breath
- Smelly hair, clothes, and skin
- Chronic bronchitis
- Lung cancer
- Coronary heart disease
- Lip Cancer
Enviromental smoke (second-hand smoke) has over 4,000 different chemicals. Inhaling the smoke by breathing, still causes the same effects that smoking does, even though you may not be the person smoking. Second-hand smoking is more dangerous than mainstream smoking because the smoke can contain more nicotine, tar and carcinogens.
Why People Smoke/Why People Can't Stop
Most teens smoke because that's what most other people their age are doing. They want to be like everyone else, or they think it makes them look cool. Also many people claim that smoking helps relax them or it helps them cope with stress.
The reason that people have a difficult time quiting smoking, is because of nicotine. Nicotine is the a drug that is very addictive, which makes it hard to stop smoking.
Health Textbook (Chapter 21)