FAC Weekly Update
October 4, 2019
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a terrific week! The pace is really starting to pick up here, as every day brings something special. We have guest artists coming by almost every day, masterclasses at the Peace Center, field trips, preparation for Visual Arts Portfolio Day and Fall Concerts...our school is alive with activity! Make sure you come out to the FAC events (see the UPCOMING EVENTS at the bottom of the newsletter) - we want ALL students to support their colleagues, especially those outside of their area of study!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
From Extreme Ownership - How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win. By Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. Pages 270-271.
"Discipline starts every day when the first alarm clock goes off in the morning. I say, 'first alarm clock' because I have three, as I was taught by one of the most feared and respected instructors in SEAL training: one electric, one battery-powered, one windup. That way, there is no excuse for not getting out of bed, especially with all that rests on that decisive moment.
The moment the alarm goes off is the first test; it sets the tone for the rest of the day. The test is not a complex one; when the alarm goes off, do you get up out of bed, or do you lie there in comfort and fall back to sleep? If you have the discipline to get out of bed, you win - you pass the test. If you are mentally weak for that moment and you let that weakness keep you in bed, you fail. Though it seems small, that weakness translates to more significant decisions. But if you exercise discipline, that too translates to more substantial elements of your life."
Application Portal is OPEN
ATTENTION ALL FRESHMEN, SOPHOMORES, and JUNIORS!
All FAC Students must apply yearly for admission to the Fine Arts Center. The application for the 2020-2021 School Year is now available on our website - http://www.fineartscenter.net. The application closes on December 20, so please be sure to handle this task ASAP. Kindly note that there are some open-ended questions on the application that our returning students need to complete. We expect our students to reflect on the questions and respond thoughtfully.
The Fine Arts Center needs your help!
1. We need your help with ticket sales at our October events. Please click on the following link to access a "sign up genius" created by the FAC pARTners - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e45ada82daafc1-october. We will send out a link for November events towards the end of this month.
2. Some supplies that we always run out of - tissues and quart-size Ziploc bags. If it is within your means, please consider donating these items to our school. I will place a box near the security desk where you or your child can drop these items off.
Support our FAC Students!
- Warehouse Theatre - The Crucible - https://warehousetheatre.com/shows/the-crucible/, Directed by Jayce Tromsness (husband of FAC Theatre Faculty, Anne Tromsness)
- Carolina Ballet Theatre - Sleeping Beauty and Latin Nights Dance Fiesta - https://www.peacecenter.org/events/arts-partners/carolina-ballet-theatre
Did we miss anything that features our students? Please email Mr. Popat with information.
Peace Center Teen Ambassadors
- Eve Begelman, Grade 10, Voice
- Bess Bridwell, Grade 11, Flute
- Abigail Byrd, Grade 12, Cello
- Maxwell Canipe, Grade 12, Oboe
- Adam Finkelstein, Grade 12, Percussion
- Mia Kim, Grade 10, Violin
- Virginia Kate Kirby, Grade 12, Voice
- Annabel Poinsette, Grade 11, Voice
- Philip Rawlinson, Grade 11 Viola
- Julia Rhyne, Grade 11, Violin
- Lura Zimmerman, Grade 10, Voice
Want to help raise funds for the Fine Arts Center? Simply shop at Publix! Click on the following link for directions and information - https://corporate.publix.com/community/corporate-campaigns/publix-partners.
Educators Who Make a Difference
Upstate Parent magazine is seeking nominations for their annual “Educators Who Make a Difference” edition. Nominations must be made using the online form found here. Please submit your nominations by October 18. You may nominate more than one person but may not nominate the same person more than once. We hope that you will take this opportunity to recognize our phenomenal Faculty!
Friday Studio Access
Studio access will end on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. This applies to all Fridays. Please be sure that you have wrapped up your activities by that time and have arranged for prompt transportation.
Greenville County Schools - Financial Aid Workshops
Greenville County Schools has four Financial Aid Workshops available to parents. Please choose the date and location that best fits your schedule:
- October 7, 2019 • 6 PM, JL Mann High Academy
- October 14, 2019 • 6 PM, Travelers Rest High
- October 21, 2019 • 6 PM, Eastside High
- October 7: Visual Arts Portfolio Day - during the school day
- October 10: Senior Visual Arts Field Trip to Penland
- October 10: Jazz Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- October 15: Recruiting Field Trip to League Academy - during the school day
- October 17: Strings Chamber Music Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- October 19: Voice Field Trip to SCNATS
- October 22: Visual Arts Field Trip to Atlanta
- October 23: Jazz Concert @ Genevieve's - 7:00 p.m.
- November 1: Opening Reception for Ms. April Dauscha's art exhibit at Furman University. 6:00-7:30 p.m., Thompson Art Gallery, Furman University.