Richmond Virtual Academy Weekly Newsletter for Families
Volume 1, Issue 7, Friday, September 3, 2021
I am excited to announce that we have two waves of "first day of school experiences" next week. On Tuesday, September 7th, we will welcome all of our new middle and high school RVA Owls who were recently granted seats via our waitlist. And, on Wednesday, September 8th, we will welcome back all of our preschool and elementary school RVA Owls!
That said, we are currently experiencing higher than usual call and email volumes. I want to personally thank you for your grace and patience with the RVA Team during this time. To help you prepare and get quick help for common concerns and questions related to virtual learning, please check out the FAQs below related to your child's school level:)
PreK and Elementary School FAQs:
If you missed our Parent Orientation for Preschool and Elementary School, click here to watch the recording (or select the video featured in this newsletter)!
- RVA students should have picked up their Chromebook and Grade Specific School Supply Bag at their zone schools. If you have not already picked up your child's Chromebook and School Supply Bag, please contact your child's zone school for more information or to request an alternate date and/or time for pick up.
- As a reminder, RVA preschool and elementary school students will be taking classes using Google Classroom. They will need to use their "rvaschools" email address and password to login. Please refer to RPSTech.org for helpful tutorials and videos to learn how your child should login to their Google Classroom for live sessions. Requests to reset your child's student password for Chromebooks and Google Classroom should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle & High School Virtual Learner FAQs:
- I never received, lost, or forgot my Virtual Virginia login credentials and I can't login to access my classes: If you unable to locate your child's Virtual Virginia login credentials, please email or call your child's zone school counselor directly to get this information sent to you.
- I don't know when my Virtual Virginia classes take place. I have no idea how to find my live sessions each day: Richmond Virtual Academy students will find their schedule in their Virtual Virginia account. Students should plan to follow the sample Virtual Virginia schedule for their grade level for live sessions. Parents and students should note that Virtual Virginia uses a cascading schedule and so classes do not take place at the same time every day. Students will find the exact links and times for their scheduled live sessions on the morning of the first day of Virtual Virginia classes (August 24), and can review their assigned class pages to determine when their classes will be held each day.. Click this video for a demonstration of how students can locate their live sessions (the video is also included in this newsletter).
- I see my classes, but these do not appear to be the right classes I should have on my schedule: Questions about students' course selections in Virtual Virginia should be directed to your child's zone school counselor.
- I still need to pick up my chromebook and school supply bag: Contact your child's zone school if you missed your child's zone school Chromebook & School Supply Distribution event to schedule an alternative date and time to pick up your child's device and school supply bag.
- I can't login to my chromebook: Email email@example.com from a working cell phone or device. Include your child's name, date of birth, and student ID number (if possible) to ask for a password reset.
- My chromebook or hotspot is not working: If possible, use a different device to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to request support. Include your name, your zone school, student ID number, and RPS tag number located on the device in your email. In addition, be sure to describe in detail the issue you are experiencing. If this is not possible or if this is an emergency and you do not have an alternative device to complete learning activities, contact your child's zone school to indicate the need for repair/replacement and determine a date and time in which you can swap the device for one that is working.
- I missed the RVA Family Orientation and need an overview of what to expect for the Richmond Virtual Academy program for middle and high school students: Click Here to View the Recording of our Family Orientation...Click Here to View the Slide Deck from our Family Orientation)
- I still need more information about Virtual Virginia's program: Visit Virtual Virginia and check out the Parent Handbook for more information.
- I thought I signed up for Richmond Virtual Academy, but I am not really sure my (or my child's) enrollment status. Who should I contact to confirm my enrollment?: Contact your child's zone school counselor to confirm your child's enrollment in the Richmond Virtual Academy and to confirm that your child has a schedule within Virtual Virginia. If you new to the division, ensure that you have completed the registration and enrollment process completely with your child's zone school office administration team prior to asking for the status of your child's Richmond Virtual Academy enrollment. Families of students who are not enrolled in Richmond Virtual Academy but are interested in participating may click here to be added to the waitlist.
- My question or concern is not listed above and I want to talk with someone about the Richmond Virtual Academy program. Who should I speak to?: Reach out to Assistant Principal Mr. Deonta Gail (email@example.com) who is leading the work for our middle and high school learners.
As always, feel free to reach out to me or my amazing team if you have any additional questions or concerns. Have a wonderful week and see you soon!!!
Dr. Cyndi Robinson
Richmond Virtual Academy
Meet Our N.E.S.T. (Nurturing Educational Support Team)
Meet our Preschool through 5th grade teachers by clicking here or on the link above. Our RVA Nurturing Education Support Team (NESTers) are here and can't wait to meet your preschoolers and elementary schoolers next week! Listen as they share with you owl the reasons they are excited for this school year!
And, if you missed our Parent Orientation for our Preschool and Elementary School Families, check out the recording below! You can also access our Family Handbook for helpful reminders and information about the Richmond Virtual Academy program!
See you next week!!
RICHMOND PUBLIC SCHOOLS (RPS) EVENTS & UPDATES
Want to Switch to In-Person Next Year? – If your family selected virtual learning for the 2021-22 school year, but you'd like to switch to in-person, no problem! Just complete the Switch Pathways Form (Formulario de Cambio de Decisión) so our Enrollment Team can make the change. For more information about the 2021-22 school year, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Family Support Line at 804-780-6195.
Waitlist for the RPS Virtual Academy (RVA) – We have created a waitlist for the Richmond Virtual Academy where you can register your interest if a spot becomes available. Click here to add your student's name to the list.
Homeschooling Option – Given the Delta variant, if you're interested in homeschooling your student this fall, please complete this form and email Valenta Wade at email@example.com. Note that you may return to your RPS school at any time.
Chromebook Password Reset – You may remember this one from last year. For security reasons, we'll be doing a password reset for all student Chromebooks on Tuesday, September 7, at 9 am. See below for all the details.
RVA RECOMMENDED RESOURCES
Online Learning PreK-12
- 8 Tips for Middle and High Schoolers to Get Started in Online School
- How to Be a Successful Online Student
- Tips for a Successful Virtual School Year
- Internet Safety (All Grade Levels)
- Hour of Code - Computer Science activities
- Free Kids Books
- Children's Storybooks Online
- Kids Math Games
- ABCya.com - free educational kids computer games and activities
- Reading Games for Elementary Students
- Hour of Code - Computer Science activities
- iCivics - Social Studies games
- Richmond Public Library E-Books and Audio Books
- Smithsonian for Kids
VIRTUAL VIRGINIA INFORMATION
RPS RECOMMENDED RESOURCES
- RPS Website
- ReopenWithLove2.0 FAQs
- Meal Distribution
- Tech Support
- Family Support Line: (804) 780-6195)
- Enrollment Portal
- RPS Love Store
- Richmond City Health District
- Virginia Department of Health
- Vaccinate Virginia
- Centers for Disease Control
Crisis Support Links
- Richmond Behavioral Health Authority (Child/Adult Mental Health) – (804) 819-4100
- ChildSavers Immediate Response Helpline (Child Mental Health) – (804) 305-2420
- YWCA Greater Richmond (Domestic Violence) – (804) 612-6126
- Virginia Child Protective Services (Child Abuse) – (800) 552-7096
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – (800) 273-8255