What's Happening ?? !!
~ Hawley Newsletter ~ September 10, 2017 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians,
Here's What's Happening at Hawley.......
- WEEK 2 in the books!!! Duplicate of Week 1: Beautiful Weather; Smiling Faces; Hard Work; Learning & Laughter!
- Our bus dismissal continues to improve. This week should give you a good idea of consistent times. Please contact me with any questions.
- Wednesday is Picture Day. Orders can come in that day or be done via internet in advance. See the PTA website for information (click here)
- PTA Ice Cream Social: THIS Thursday, 6:00-7:00 pm. This is one of my favorite events of the year. Come meet and socialize with other Hawley Families while staff scoops delicious ice cream and kids play. It's what a School Community is all about. I look forward to seeing everyone (and cheating on my diet ;0)
Afternoon Dismissal: Very Important
I am including this information for a second week as these questions are still being asked. As I receive guidance from Central Office, I will share updated information.
As everyone is aware our system for afternoon dismissal has changed. With change comes new, unexpected situations. Although I will continue to consult with Central Office, here is where we are for now on these situations:
- Hawley students being picked up can not be signed out to play outside while parents wait for Reed students. Although I understand the thinking, we are just unable to keep track of that at this time.
- I am uncomfortable with older brothers/sisters signing out siblings and waiting for a ride on campus or nearby (I am not talking about walkers). While I wait for guidance from our attorney regarding liability, I ask that adults pick up students.
- Reminder: Not only is 3:15-3:35 pm one of our busiest times of day in the office, instruction is still occurring. Please avoid picking your child(ren) up at this time.
Open House was a HIT!
- We had 2 Terrific Open Houses last week. Teachers presented curriculum, work and behavioral expectations. Parents looked for ways to support and help students. It was a perfect evening showing the strong Hawley Home-School Connection. Thank you for taking the time to join us.
- I shared our Focus on work habits (see the Wordle photo that I shared with you)
Teaching our children to problem-solve and persevere and understand learning grows from struggle is a great gift to give them to be successful. The video I showed to staff, students and at Open House to you really emphasizes this work. Click here to watch.
Reading, Reading, Reading!!!
- Unfortunately, Parking at Hawley is a struggle. We have 68 staff and 60 parking spaces. We block out 3 spaces for Visitors (a visit of less than 1 hour). Some staff arrive after school has started and can't find spaces. I am embarrassed but ask that if you are attending a function or are going to be at Hawley for more than an hour or are chaperoning a field trip that you park over at Caraluzzis. Thank you very much.
- The NEF is hosting a wonderful town-wide event, the Color Run, on 9/24. This is a fun event that raises money for teacher/school grants. Click here for more information.
- The Hawley PTA does such wonderful work on behalf of our staff and students. Your time, efforts and support only add to their efforts. Please find a way to contribute your talents and click here for a membership form to Join the PTA if you have not done so already.
The Hawley School Website
Out of the Mouths of Babes.....
"What are you filling out?" asked Mr. M
"My Reading Log." answered the 2nd grader
"What does it include?" Mr. M inquired
"Title and pages read" the student added
"What is S & H mean?" the annoying man continued
"S is reading in school and H is at home." responded the student
"Wait, you read at home- That's great!" Mr. M congratulated the student
"I have to, it's my Super Power!"