Comets & Asteroids
By: Christian Smith
- A comet is a celestial object that contains a center of ice and dust. When it is near the sun it begins to leave a tail of gas and dust particles pointing away from the sun.
- Comets originated from the Kuiper Belt
- Comets are some left ofter material left over from the formation of planets.
The photograph above is of a comet flying across space. This picture was taken by a photographer in Australia.
The following video will explain in more depth and detail about comets, where they came from, how they are made, and the whole theory of comets. The following video is made and uploaded to YouTube by History.com. Enjoy
The Universe: Comets
- An asteroid is a small rocky body orbiting the sun.
- Ranging in size from 600mi across dust particles
- They are found in the asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter
- If they enter the eartths atmosphere they then turn into meteors.
The upper photo is of an asteroid. There are not alot of quality photos of asteroids to the public but this is one I could find.
The video below will also go into detail about this reading. Explaining the theory of asteroids.