Walnut Creek School District
Governing Board Meeting Summary for October 11, 2021
Governing Board Members
- Heidi Hernandez Gatty, Board President - present
- Nithin Iyengar, Board Clerk - present
- Liz Bettis, Trustee - present
- Aimee Moss, Trustee - present
- Zetta Reicker, Trustee - present
- Marie Morgan, Superintendent - present
GOVERNING BOARD STUDY SESSION
The Board approved the following consent items:
- Governing Board Meeting Minutes, 27th September 2021
- September 2021 Warrants
- Williams Uniform Complaint Quarterly Report for the First Quarter 2021/22
- Personnel Consent Calendar Items
The Board heard discussions on the following topics:
We were introduced to the Wellness Team: Student Support Liaison, Tiffany Downey, TSA, and Wellness Coordinators, Corey Cohen, LCSW, PPS, and Adriane Winslow, LMFT. They explained the milestones of the Wellness Program, counseling services, and the tools that they are using to develop adult SEL (Social Emotional Learning) competencies for staff. We also got a sneak peek at the newly opened Wellness Center at Indian Valley!
Next month, the team will share what SEL components are being used by staff in morning meetings and advisory with their students, as well as addressing Parent Education/Communication, the design of site Wellness Centers, and Student Safety Supports.
The Board voted on the following recommended action items:
- An update was provided on the ESSER III Grant expenditure plan by Vince Morales, Chief Business Official, and Jan Rogenski, Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services. ESSER III is the third federal stimulus funding act in response to COVID-19. These funds are to be used to ensure the health & safety of students, educators, and staff; to address learning loss; to support the social-emotional well-being of students; to remove barriers to educational equity; and to make a lasting impact on the educational system. The allocation of our expenditures was decided through strong community engagement.
Plans for ESSER III Grant Funds were Approved as presented, 5-0
- Vince Morales, CBO, presented a request for Chefs Brigaid to perform a comprehensive assessment of our Food Service Program in order to assist with our goals of improving the consistency of food quality while getting back to cooking more meals from scratch. The cost of this will be shared with San Ramon Unified, with our budget coming from Fund-13 (Child Nutrition Services).
Contract with Chefs Brigaid was Approved as presented, 5-0
- Superintendent Marie Morgan presented for approval the annual certification that administrators responsible for performance evaluation of certificated staff are competent in the skills and procedures necessary to evaluate personnel.
Certification of Administrators to Evaluate Teachers was Approved as presented, 5-0
- Resolution 21-22-03 Against Bullying, Harassment, Discrimination and Violence was presented for approval by Marie Morgan, Superintendent. October is National Bullying Prevention Month.
Resolution 21-22-03 Against Bullying, Harassment, Discrimination and Violence was Approved as presented, 5-0
- Resolution 21-22-04 Red Ribbon Week was presented for approval by Marie Morgan, Superintendent. Red Ribbon Week, the nation's oldest & largest drug prevention awareness program, is the week of October 23-31, 2021.
Resolution 21-22-04 Red Ribbon Week was Approved as presented, 5-0
REPORTS FROM GOVERNING BOARD MEMBERS
The Board Members reported the following activities since our last Board meeting:
- Aimee Moss: reached out to Murwood & Parkmead to express her excitement at being their Board liaison this year; also, had good intentions of attending the CCCSBA meeting last week, but was unable to
- Liz Bettis: with a heavy heart, Ms. Bettis announced that she will be resigning from the Board; she will be with us until winter break
- Heidi Hernandez-Gatty: met with Superintendent Morgan on 10/4 to prepare for this meeting; also on 10/4, met with Mt. Diablo Board President and city council members on safety & traffic routes
- Nithin Iyengar: nothing to report, but thanks Ms. Bettis for her contributions
- Zetta Reicker: nothing to report, but thanks Ms. Bettis for the impact she's had
21 Governing Board/Equity Committee Workshop, 4pm
28 WCEF Meeting, 7pm
5 End of First Trimester, Elementary/Tice Creek - Minimum Day
8 Governing Board Meeting, 6pm
11-12 Veteran's Day - No School
18 WCEF Meeting, 7pm
22-26 Thanksgiving Break - No School
29 Governing Board Meeting, 6pm
1-3 Governing Board, CSBA-AEC, San Diego
13 Governing Board Meeting, 6pm
16 WCEF Meeting, tbd
17 End of Second Quarter, WCI
17 Minimum Day (TK - 8th)
20-31 Winter Break - No School