Culture of Readers
Not just a product...but a process
- Purposeful structure for their self selected reading all year long
- Solving real world problems
- Critical thinking skills
- Connection to authors, audiences, teachers, other students
- Collaboration with teacher librarian
What are your gifts? interests? questions?
Alex's idea to help students find books to read
- New students cannot find books to read
- Second grade students cannot get 'hooked' on a series
- Students aren't finishing books
- Students need to have more dialogue with others about books they've read
- Want to connect with publishing companies to secure and promote ARC
- Younger students need a structured environment to learn about an author
- Students are not continuing to read in the summer months
- Classical literature needs to be promoted with students
- Students need to connect with books ( reader's theater)
- Prolific authors' books are not being checked out
- Students get stuck in a rut and read the same books over and over
- Reading isn't perceived as being 'cool'
- Students do not know how to dialogue about books in a meaningful way
- Popular books are put on hold and then not checked out /read in a timely fashion
Solutions to problems....
What will they actually DO!
Good problems too...
- There are ‘good problems’
- Students who have read everything by a particular author
- Veracious readers…can’t find enough titles for them
- Students who have read everything in sight
- Students who love a particular author and want more…
- Focus on a part of the library process ---
- Checking out
- Checking in
- Documenting reading/books finished
- Focus on an author --- is there an author that’s not getting noticed? Or checked out?
- Focus on a time of year --- is there a time of year we need to ramp up reading for a particular group?
- Focus on a library program – ICCA --- Is there something that needs to be done/changed with this program?
Bank of problems and solutions:
ACTION VERB ACTION VERB ACTION VERB ACTION VERB
Importance of COMMUNITY within the class, grade level and school
Help with planning
Ideas of technology utilized
Twitter with autohrs
Skyping with authors
Book discussion groups - virtual
Communication with authors
Will and Natalie's TED-Ed Talk
Alex's TED-Ed Talk 1
Aidan's TED-Ed Talk