We Are Family - February 7, 2021
Our Signature Event Committee could use your help! In addition to the opportunities listed below in this newsletter, help is needed to sell tickets after upcoming masses. For more information and to sign up, please visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f044aa9ab2ca0ff2-signature
You can also purchase tickets to attend this great event after the masses or via the order form at the end of the newsletter. I am looking forward to seeing you there!
Janet Abdoulaye, Principal
- Crazy Socks vs. Crazy Hats (or both). Students may also dress down, if participating with socks and/or hats.
- Fiction vs. Non-Fiction. Students may dress up as their favorite book characters, fiction or non-fiction
2:50 PM Release
Mass hosted by 4KR at 8:45 AM. Livestream available on our YouTube Channel.
- Spiritwear tops with uniform pants or spirit wear bottoms
Signature Event 2022: The Roaring Twenties
Tickets will be going on sale after Mass starting this weekend for our annual St. Susanna Signature Event which will be held Saturday March 5, 2022, at Embassy Suites Convention Center in Plainfield. We have also sent home an order form via backpack mail that you can return with your order and payment. Need another? There is a form linked at the bottom of the Monday Memo!
This years’ theme is the Roaring 20s and all are encouraged to come dressed as your favorite Flappers and Gents! It is sure to be a memorable event! Each ticket provides the holder with dinner, reserved seating, access to the silent auction items, dancing, and an entry for the $5,000 raffle prize.
As stated in previous communications, this is our schools biggest fundraiser. In order for this to continue to be a successful event we need all families involved. All proceeds from this event benefit our children directly. Big or small, your help and generosity is very much appreciated. Regardless if you’re unable to attend in person the night of the event, you can help contribute in many ways:
- Volunteer to chair/co-chair a few committees
- Volunteer leading up to and on the night of the event
- Donation of a themed basket for Silent Auction
- Do you work for or have your own business that would be willing to sponsor the event or donate a service/time/item?
- Do you have a special skill such as jewelry making, handmade items, cooking, teaching dance, yoga, exercise, etc? We would love to highlight what gifted and talented people we have here at St. Susanna!
If you have questions, need items picked up, donation/sponsorship letters please contact the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID Policies Update
We had a great question last week asking, "What is the current definition of fully vaccinated?"
- Fully vaccinated for 5 to 11 years old means they are 2 weeks past their 2nd vaccination. This age group is also eligible for a 3rd dose, mainly for immunocompromised kids, but you can check with your doctor if you want them to get it. The booster shot is not necessary at this time to qualify for fully vaccinated status.
- Fully vaccinated for 12 and up is both vaccinations AND the booster shot. They need to receive the booster five months after the 2nd dose. They are considered fully vaccinated the day they receive the booster shot.
Our updated COVID policies can be found here. This includes information about mitigation, control measures, and quarantines.
Additionally, the Department of Health recently revised their guidance regarding school quarantines. The graphic below was taken from IDOH and I added the red text to clarify some common quarantine situations. There is a pdf of this graphic at the bottom of the newsletter.
IDOH has not changed the close contact guidance for schools who have a consistent mask policy. These schools must only quarantine students who are contact traced at lunch (or other maskless times) and we may do so based on the rules below. This allows us to keep the number of students quarantined because of school contact very low.
Spring 2022 Girls Softball
- Login to your FACTS account.
- Click on "View Details" next to the heading Payment Plan and Billing.
- Click on "View Payment Summary" and ensure that you have the year 2021 in the drop down menu.
- Print this sheet. This will show totals paid per child and category and has our Federal Tax ID number on it.
Golf season is just around the corner, hopefully! We had such a great turnout last year that Ms. Abdoulaye would like to continue to offer this opportunity.
Just a refresher or for those who are new this year:
- For the K-5 program we would do something in April & May one night a week for 1 hour. Whatever night there is not a conflict with other sports or whatnot. This would be a simple and fun golf instruction program. There could be a cost of $10 per kid to the parent if we decide to do a T-shirt. We would volunteer our time and take all responsibility in finding additional volunteers to keep the coach/athlete ratio reasonable.
- For the middle school team, it would again be a spring sport in April & May. This will be a COED team at this point. It would actually be a Club sport to compete with other schools like Kingsway, Park Tudor and other Christian Academies or even other surrounding middle schools. Ben will be the coach of this team. There would be a cost to the parents of the players, Ben is guessing around $150. This fee would cover team shirts, golf balls and a golf bag. We are completely open for any sort of fundraising effort to offset this cost for the parent. The middle school would practice 3 or 4 days a week after school for about an hour and have approximately 6-8 matches.
Please talk it over with your child and if they are interested just send an email to me at email@example.com. We would like to have your response by Friday, February 4th.
Oak Tree Golf Course
Cardinal Ritter High School - Bus Schedule Fall 2022
Come out and support our Lady Spartans at their home volleyball games this season!
Thursday, Feb. 10
- 6:15pm: 56A vs St. Maria Goretti
- 7:00pm: 4th vs St. Mark
Saturday, Feb. 12
- 10:30am: 56B vs St. Matthew
- 11:15am: Cadet B vs Little Flower
Wednesday, Feb. 16
- 6:15pm: 56B vs Central Catholic
- 7:00pm: 56A vs Nativity
- 7:45pm: Cadet B vs Central Catholic
Wednesday, Feb. 23
- 6:15pm: 4th vs St. Charles
- 7:00pm: 56A vs St. Malachy
- 7:45pm: Cadet A vs Christ the King
Thursday, Feb. 24
- 7:00pm: Cadet A vs Holy Spirit
Thursday, March 3
- 6:15pm: Cadet A vs Holy Name
Saint Susanna Intramural Basketball - Grades 1-4
- WHO: SCHOOL AND PARISH BOYS & GIRLS 1ST THRU 4TH GRADES
- SEASON: PRACTICES WILL BEGIN LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY/FIRST WEEK OF MARCH. THIS WILL BE BASED ON GYM AVAILABILITY. GAMES WILL BE PLAYED MONDAYS THRU THURSDAYS AND SATURDAYS. THE SEASON WILL CONCLUDE THE THURSDAY BEFORE SPRING BREAK.
- COST: $25/PLAYER INCLUDES TEAM T-SHIRT
- REGISTER: ONLINE SIGN-UP CAN BEGIN IMMEDIATELY. REGISTRATION ENDS ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 18!!! SIGN UP AT: https://www.saintsusannaschool.com/cyo (this link has been fixed to direct to the correct page)
- Click on St. Susanna Online Sports Registration Form
- For sport, click on IM BASKETBALL ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY!
EVALUATIONS: 1ST & 2ND GRADERS - 6PM AT ZORE HALL, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21;
3RD & 4TH GRADERS – 7 PM AT ZORE HALL, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21
**EVALUATIONS ARE MANDATORY**
$25 PAYMENT CAN BE MADE ONLINE OR BEFORE EVALS. NO EVALS TILL PAYMENT RECEIVED. MANDATORY EVALUATIONS ARE USED TO HELP PICK TEAMS EVENLY.
COACHES: THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO GET THOSE SERVICE HOURS.
INTRAMURALS IS ABOUT HAVING TONS OF FUN WITH FRIENDS AND CLASSMATES ALL THE WHILE LEARNING THE FUNDAMENTALS OF BASKETBALL. VOLUNTEER COACHES ARE WHAT MAKE THIS LEAGUE SO SPECIAL, NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY! THE MORE COACHES WE HAVE THE MORE TEAMS WE HAVE TO MAXIMIZE THE KIDS PLAYING TIME.
DURING ONLINE REGISTRATION YOU’LL SEE A BOX YOU CAN CLICK TO SIGN UP AS COACH.
QUESTIONS: EMAIL CYO AT: firstname.lastname@example.org
*SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR INTRAMURAL SPONSORS*
STATE FARM AGENT – JIM FLANAGAN, JIMMY JOHNS OF AVON AND PLAINFIELD, JACK’S DONUTS AND BUILDOUT SPECIALIST
The service hour tracking form can be found here and a copy will be sent home in the back-to-school packets. We ask that each family complete five service hours this school year. These hours can be completed during school or parish events.
Upcoming events include:
- Silent Auction class art project. Each grade is looking for a parent volunteer(s) to coordinate an art project to be auctioned off at the Signature Event! Please contact Gaytanna McGuire for more information and/or to volunteer. email@example.com or 765-720-0225.
2022-2023 Calendar Dates
First Day of School: Tuesday, August 9, 2022
Labor Day: September 5th
Fall Break: October 10th - 14th (2nd full week of October)*
Thanksgiving: November 23rd – 27th
Christmas Break: Friday, December 23 – Sunday, January 8th
Dr. King Holiday: Monday, January 16th
Presidents Day: February 20th
Spring Break: March 27th -31st
Easter Monday: April 10th
Last Day of School: Thursday, May 25, 2023
*Thank you to all who participated in the fall break survey. More families indicated a preference for the second week of October for fall break by a narrow margin. I have changed the date accordingly.
Inclement Weather - School Closings and Delays
- Our communication system which will call, text, and email the parents and guardians listed in our student information system.
- Our social media pages
- Major local television news programs
In the event of a two-hour delay, parents will be notified by the same method. On a two-hour delay, morning care opens at 9:00 AM, drop-off begins at 10:00 AM, and school starts at 10:20 AM. Breakfast will NOT be served on two-hour delay days as we have lunch periods that start at 11:00 AM.
Special notes for our preschool/prekindergarten classes: In the event of a school cancelation for weather, these students will not be expected to complete remote work. In the event of a two-hour delay, there will be no classes for our half-day preschool/prek students.
I sent out a test text message in January. If you did not receive it, it means that you have not opted in to text messaging from Saint Susanna. To opt in, please text YES to 87569. You will then receive future text messages from us. I use these very sparingly to communicate issues of an immediate nature such as school delays and closings..
Students may be referred to Ms. Evans by teachers or the principal for a one-time visit. After that, parents must complete an consent form for continued visits. The consent form is available at the end of the Monday Memo or in the school office. You can reach Ms. Evans directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Easy Fund-Raising for Saint Susanna Catholic School!
Box Tops for Education
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Download the new Box Tops App (iTunes or Google Play) – it’s free
- Step 2: Create a username and connect it to your child’s school
- Step 3: Scan your grocery store receipt. Items with the new Box Tops label will be automatically credited to your school
Does this mean I should stop sending in my paper Box Tops that I have already clipped? No! Continue to send those to the school!
Kroger Community Rewards
Information on the Kroger Community Rewards program can be found here on their website or under the "rewards" tab in your Kroger app. You will need to search for the exact name of our organization as SAINT SUSANNAS SCHOOL PTP . From there, you can link your Kroger card with our organization and a portion of your spending at Kroger will come to us.
St. Susanna Catholic School's mission is to provide a Christ-centered, quality education that prepares and inspires its students to excel as they progress in their scholastic careers. Based on Catholic teachings, our students and staff exemplify the value of faith, service, love, and respect in all situations and with all people.