May 8-May 22
From the Educators
Hello, Jackson County 4-H Families!
Spring and Shooting Sports Fair have passed and it is now almost time for the Summer Fair and Fashion Revue! Be on the lookout for the Summer Fair registration to open later this week! As a reminder, our deadlines are as follows:
- June 7: Deadline for Animal Entries
- June 14: Deadline for Fashion Revue Entries
- June 21: Deadline for Statics, Cupcake War, Flower Arranging, and Table Setting Entries
Adult chaperones at camp will receive a discount on their child' camp fees. Camp registration is still open and there are still spaces left! Register at this link (and contact the office for the 4-H discount code--$40 off the cost of camp for 4-H members, even more off of camp for kids whose parents volunteer!).
Check your email for an email from OSU about a National Index Study about 4-H! It's for participants who are 13-18 years old and have been registered in 4-H for at least one full year.
Finally, we're still looking for adult volunteers and youth volunteers to help set up, host, lead activities in, and tear down the static exhibit hall at fair this year! Are you a parent of kids who do static projects? Come join the fun! Reach out to Steven at 541-930-8412 for more information! Our next meeting is this Wednesday at 6PM at Extension, so feel free to just show up!
Lena and Steven
4-H Shooting Sports Members Qualified to Compete at State!
This Week (May 8-14)
Horse Advisory Meeting: Mon, May 8, 7PM, Extension Auditorium
CloverBuddies: Tues, May 9, 6PM, Extension Auditorium
4-H Expressive Arts Online Leader Training: Tues, May 9, Zoom (Pre-Register Here)
Bob Moss Bred and Fed Registration Due: Wed, May 10, Due at the Sheep Leaders Meeting (app found at the bottom of our "Forms" page!)
Sheep Leaders Meeting: Wed, May 10, 6:30PM, Extension Auditorium
Swine Leaders Meeting: Thurs, May 11, 6:30PM, Extension Auditorium
Steven Out of Office: Fri, May 12
Bigleaf Maple Festival: Sat, May 13th, 11:30AM-6PM at the Oregon 4-H Center in West Salem
Summer Conference Registration Opens: Sun, May 14, 8AM (see below for details)
Next Week (May 15-21)
- RSVP For Buyer's Letter Clinic: May 15
- Lena on Leave: May 16-21
- Buyer's Letter Workshop with Dr. Ravassipour: Thurs, May 18, 6:30PM, SOREC Auditorium (pizza at 6PM, register ahead of time at the link above)
- Outreach Leadership Institute, "Career Exploration" (OLI III): May 19-21, at OSU Corvallis Campus
- Shooting Sports Fair: Sat, May 20, 8:30AM, RVSSA Range 7
- 4-H Open Leader Horse Show: Sat, May 20, Barker - Expo
Information for Everyone
The Jackson County Animal Science Record is now in Spanish!
All Shooting Sports Families are Invited: Dinner and Compensation?
On May 22nd all shooting sports kids from Joesphine and Jackson County are invited to attend an introduction to Guardians 4 Heath. We will be meeting at the Josephine County extension office located at 215 Ringuette Street in Grants Pass. We will start at 6:30 pm. This meeting will be approximately 90 minutes, and dinner will be provided. This should be fun and a nice social event for the kids.
Fashion Revue and Cosplay Contest?
Any 4-H member is welcome to sign up for one of our most exciting contests, the Fashion Revue! The Fashion Revue consists of three contests:
- Fashion Revue: Construction -- Where at least one piece of the garment in the ensemble must be constructed by the member.
- Ready to Wear -- All elements of the ensemble must be purchased within the last 12 months except for one previously-owned or borrowed accessory item (shoes, jewelry, etc.).
- Fashion Revue: Challenge -- The Fashion Revue Challenge for the 2023 fair season will be a garment or outfit inspired by your favorite movie. Create a garment, costume, or outfit that is straight out of the movies! Choose a movie (4-H appropriate = G or PG) and use your research talents, creativity, and imagination to produce your fashion masterpiece. If the movie is rated older than G or PG, please contact your county faculty/staff for approval.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday June 14
Judging: (tent.) Monday June 26, 2023 4 –7:30 pm, Extension Center
Live Show: (tent.) Tuesday June 27, 2023, 6:00pm Dress Rehearsal, 7 pm Live Show, Trail Christian Fellowship
Registration will be on ShoWorks and will open with Summer Fair Registration!
Poultry Clinic #2
Time: Wednesday, June 21, 6-8pm
Host: Lena Hosking
Details: Come learn from Marion County 4-H Poultry Superintendent Ciara Galvin! She will discuss:
1. Market birds (turkey and chicken). Help with last minute feeding strategies.
2. Poultry Diseases
3. Meat Judging
4. Showmanship for chickens and turkeys. Getting birds show ready.
The Cupcake War is Commencing!
Check out our rules for the contest! The Cupcake Wars will be during Summer Fair on Thursday, July 13 in the Padgham Pavilion and is open to 4-H Juniors, Intermediates, and Seniors (Ages 9-19).
Information for Leaders
Club Charters Needed by June 30
State-wide or Virtual 4-H Opportunities
Summer Conference Registration opening soon!
Registration will open May 14th at 8:00am (this is a Sunday so youth can get registered without worrying about getting to school). All Summer Conference information, class schedule, bus schedule and other information will be available next week.
Ages: Completing Grades 7-12
Location: Corvallis Campus
Register by June 1
4-H Fishing Tournament
Fish wherever you'd like and submit pictures!
Date: Memorial Day Weekend (May 26y-29)
Registration: See QR Code below, register by May 25th
Community Classifieds (not endorsed by OSU, but provided as a service)
This publication will be made available in an accessible alternative format upon request. Please contact Steven McIntyre, Education Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oregon State University Extension Service prohibits discrimination in all its programs, services, activities, and materials on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, genetic information, veteran's status, reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).