8th Grade ELA News
January 11th, 2016
Our Learning Targets
Our goals this week are:
- Understand the concept of theme and how it is used in short passages, photographs, and song lyrics.
- Students will be completing a constructed response this week on theme. They will be using the Two-Chunk writing strategy to complete this assignment.
- Create an Instagram account for a character in House of Scorpion.
- Create tweets for characters from different perspectives.
- Provide textual evidence to support claims.
- Students should be reading at least 30 minutes per night.
8th Grade ELA Overview
During each unit, students will explore the elements of effective writing, read and analyze fiction and nonfiction, and develop reading strategies. Students will examine literature from the perspective of a writer and use their study of literature to improve their own writing. Students will improve their vocabulary through a variety of activities. Utilizing mentor sentences, students will analyze grammatical structures in writing. Students will maintain a portfolio to demonstrate their growth in language arts. Reading, writing, language, viewing, speaking and listening skills will be developed through a variety of individual and group assignments.