O'Maley Family Focus
October 3, 2021
Please remind students to bring masks!
Dear O’Maley Families,
Welcome to October! It's hard to believe that we have been in school for a month already. There are just a few updates this week. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions or thoughts to share.
Principal Lynne Beattie
Topics in this issue of Family Focus:
- Upcoming Events
- COVID-19 Updates & Weekly Testing Sign-Up/Reminder
- Midterm and Schoolbrains Community Portal Login instructions
- 2-Liter Bottles needed for art
- COVID-19 Weekly Group Testing - Every Monday
- O'Maley Academy Programming begins October 4th
- Tuesday, October 5, Early Dismissal at 11:00 am - Staff Professional development
- Monday, October 11, 2021 - No School - Indigenous People's Day
- Tuesday, October 19, 6:00-8:00 pm - Instrument Rental/Pick-Up Night in the O'Maley Cafe
- Thursday, October 21, Early Dismissal at 11:00 am - Parent Conferences 12:00-2:00 & 6:00-8:00 pm
- October 25-29 Spirit Week. Stay tuned for more info.
- October 29 - Pre-Halloween Costume Day
- Thursday, October 28, Early Dismissal at 11:00 am - Parent Conferences 12:00-2:00 pm
- Thursday, October 28, 6:00-7:00. pm - First O'Maley PTO Meeting in the O'Maley Library.
- Thursday, November 11, 2021 - No School, Veterans Day
COVID-19 Updates & Weekly Testing Sign-Up
COVID-19 at O'Maley: We had two cases of COVID-19 reported at O'Maley this week. Close contacts have all been notified and informed of proper protocols. If you have not been contacted, your child has not been identified as a close contact Since we started school August 31st there has been a total of three cases reported among the O'Maley. See the new GPS COVID Dashboard for updated data each week: https://backtogether.gloucesterschools.com/updates/dashboard-covid-cases
Weekly Testing: Testing will occur each Monday at O'Maley. It is not too late to sign up. Please make sure your child knows that he/she/they is to be tested, and remind them to listen for announcements for testing.
To Sign Up for Testing: Link here: https://www.cic-health.com/consent/ma?district=Gloucester.I encourage families to sign their children up to be tested. Individuals signed up to participate last year DO need to re-register. Parents/Guardians MUST complete the form to give permission in order for a student to be tested.
Similarly to last year, students and staff will be tested with samples collected in groups of up to 10. If a sample is found to be positive, all individuals tested from that group will be notified and retested at school. Unless an individual is found to be positive, there is no need to quarantine.
Masks & Distancing: Per the Massachusetts DESE and the Gloucester School Committee, all students and staff will be masked in GPS buildings except at lunch or mask break when they are socially distanced at 3 feet or more. Masks are not required outdoors. For details on our health and safety protocols district wide, please visit the GPS COVID Guidance and Updates website at https://backtogether.gloucesterschools.com/.
Students must bring their own masks to school each day. While we all wish we did not have to wear them, masks continue to be required indoors at school. Thank you!
Midterm and the Schoolbrains Community Portal
We have reached midterm for Term 1. To access information about your child's progress, the best way is to access the Schoolbrains Community Portal. Our Portal is open for all students and families, and parents/guardians who are new to the portal should have received an email containing your login information. If you did not receive an email, or already had one and have forgotten it, please email Mr. Destino, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Hurley, email@example.com and they will send it to you.
Information about the portal, what you will find there, and how to login is below.
Clear 2-Liter Bottles Needed!
We have an upcoming opportunity to work with artist Marilu Swett from the Boston Sculptures Guild. Marilu has proposed a sculpture project having students create individual lanterns that as a whole will formulate a collective light show. You can help! Please save Clear 2 liter bottles for us, send them into school and to the art teachers. The projected date for construction is October 12 and 13th.
Drop Off & Pick Up
PLEASE DO NOT:
- park along Cherry Street
- stop along the island or on the Cherry Street side of the parking lot
- drive up over the hill and in front of the school
- encourage your child to run across the street or parking lot to reach your vehicle
Following these directions will keep traffic moving, will prevent buses and other vehicles from being blocked, and most importantly, will keep everyone safe.
Students should NEVER run across the street or parking lot to or from cars.
Thank you for your help to keep everyone safe.
Free Breakfast & Lunch Every Day
Students at O'Maley have 15 minutes to eat lunch and 15 minutes of recess outdoors; in inclement weather, recess is held in the auditorium or gym.