From The Admin Team 2/15/2021
Bernice Kiker Elementary School
What a week! Snow, power outages, icy roads...
We hope that you are staying safe and taking care of yourselves during this difficult time. We recognize that many are without power and heat. Please know that our primary concern is your family’s health and safety.
The information we currently have is that on Feb 16, 17, and 18 school is cancelled due to road and weather conditions. Friday, Feb 19 will be an asynchronous learning day.
If staff is unable to be online due to outages, they will offer access to another teacher’s Zoom and provide asynchronous options. If that situation arises, you may choose to join the other teacher’s Zoom or continue with asynchronous learning. We are trying to be as flexible as possible to meet the various needs and access of our staff and students.
We know that your students may not be able to be online nor able to join Zooms. There are multiple ways we can track student work and attendance. Our teachers may reach out by phone to check in on students whom they have not heard from or seen by the end of the school day. These check ins are merely to make sure everyone is safe and to offer support to your student and your family. Your health and welfare are of the utmost importance to us.
5-19 - PTA's Love Your School Fundraiser
15 - No School for Students, Staff Development Day
16 - Remote Learning Day Due to Road and Weather Conditions
26 - AISD Asynchronous Learning Day
1 - 5 TELPAS On Campus Testing - Date/Time TBD
1-12 - Map Growth Window - Reading and Math for Grades 3 - 5
10 - PTA sponsored Principal's Coffee Talk - 8:00 am
5 - AISD Asynchronous Learning Day
15-19 - Spring Break
22 - April 2 - Map Growth Reading and Math for Kindergarten Only
2 - Staff Development / Student Holiday
5 - 30 CLI (Creative Learning Initiative) Engage Pre-K4 Assessment Window
9 - AISD Asynchronous Learning Day
12 - 23 - Map Growth Fluency Window for Kindergarten
10 - 21 End of Year Map Growth Window for Reading Math Grades K - 2
31 - No School / Memorial Day
3 - Last Day for Students
4 - Staff Day
PTA Sponsored Principal's Coffee Talk
We plan to address common questions about upcoming STAAR testing and how TEA, AISD, and Kiker are responding. We are happy to address other topics which may arise in our community as well.
From the Counselors
Random Acts of Kindness Week
One of Kiker's No Place for Hate activities this spring semester will continue to be Making Inspiring Messages. Students will be writing or drawing a motto or slogan with chalk or other art medium, demonstrating concepts of inclusivity, respect and equity. These are turning out great and will be shared in the morning assembly video this week. Do you have pictures of an inspiring message? Send them via BLEND or email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
We love having these messages all over campus and our neighborhoods. Students are encouraged to continue to add inspiring messages throughout the year.
Third and fourth graders have the assignment in their Counseling Blend page.
Please Complete Your Registration for 2021-2022
1) The information you enter drives our systems for data such as your email address, phone number, etc. Please double check that all items are up to date. Once you complete the registration process, it cannot be updated/corrected without sending an email or contacting the parent/family support hotline. This includes opting in or out of campus messages. We get many emails from families wondering why they are not receiving Kiker email blasts. This is based on preferences checked in the registration process.
2) Check the boxes carefully for permission to be in the yearbook or be photographed.
3) Registration in AISD is a multi-step process. AISD will conduct various phases including 'commitment cards, online registration, and emails/surveys. All of these items affect our staffing allocations for next year. It is so important to our campus that we get everyone to complete online registration so we can keep and maintain our amazing staff!
4) Parents who are registering a new Pre-K or Kinder student will need to have the following documents on hand to upload.
- birth certificate
- immunization record
- current utility bill - electric, water, or gas
- lease or closing paperwork for your new home
- parent driver's license
Family Surveys Are Out
Student Climate Surveys will be Available for 3rd - 5th Graders Starting February 10, 2021
2020-2021 Austin ISD Student Climate Survey
The Austin ISD 2020–2021 Student Climate Survey is now available for review. Please use the links below to access a survey preview. Students in grades 3-11 will have access to the survey on February 10, 2021. Teachers will designate time for students to complete the survey beginning March 1.
Students are encouraged to participate so they can share input on the school experience. Survey results are used to improve services for our students. Participation is voluntary and all responses are confidential.
If you would like to opt out your child from participating in this survey, please click here. Please inform your child so they understand that they will not be able to access the survey. Note: Opt out requests must be made annually.If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Research & Evaluation at firstname.lastname@example.org.