December Update for GMS Families
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
Gettys Middle School Fine Arts Winter Concerts
- Strings Orchestra Concert on Tuesday, December 6 at Easley High School Auditorium. The 6th grade Strings will perform at 6:00 pm. 7th grade Strings at 6:30 pm. 8th grade Strings at 7:00 pm.
- Chorus Concert on Thursday, December 8 at 7:30 pm at Easley First Baptist Church.
- Winter Band Concert on Tuesday, December 13 at 6:30 pm at Easley High School Auditorium.
Half-Day Dismissal Time December 16
Students Showing Gettys Greatness
We have a number of award-winning students that are showing #GettysGreatness and we would like to recognize them for their outstanding work!
The Gettys Middle School Student Recognition Program's focus for October was courage and November's focus was kindness. Each student was nominated by one of their teachers. Each month there will be a colorful display in the cafeteria, grade level announcements and school-wide monitors featuring the student's names. Each student will receive their display item, a coupon and GMS PTO supplied treat at the end of each month.
Mr. Lewis Recognized as October Teacher of the Month
GMS students voted for their Teacher of the Month and Mr. Lewis was named the Teacher of the Month. Kim Acker of Pizza Inn- Pickens contributed a prize package to Mr. Lewis for this honor. Pizza Inn is a great supporter of public education so please thank them if you visit their restaurant in Pickens. Makayla Vandekerkhove said, "I chose Mr.Lewis because he makes singing so much fun. And he just has the energy you want in a teacher." Bella Stoddard said, "He always makes the chorus class tons of fun by making our vocal warm ups into little competitions that are funny! He turns the most boring stuff into fun ways to learn and sing! He always says our class is a family and we all need to help each other out! Mr.Lewis is the best teacher for creativity because he always uses his skills to help us learn how to harness our voice and do great things!"
Congratulations Mr. Lewis!
Gettys Students and Staff Help Out Easley Community
Gettys Breakers raised over $2,300 to support United Way of Pickens County during the month of November.
Gettys Middle Honors Our Veterans
We honored all of those that served in the military with a Veterans Day program presented by our Fine Arts Department and coordinated by Ms. Atkins. Our school’s namesake Richard H. Gettys served in the military as well as former student Capt. Kimberly Hampton whose service is honored every time you visit the public library. Our students also learned about former students like JT Spitzmiller. Sergeant John Thomas Spitzmiller, former GMS student, received the Purple Heart for his brave and heroic actions in Afghanistan. He refused medical treatment for the shrapnel in his neck and leg while he pulled his deceased and injured comrades out of harm’s way at the airport in Afghanistan after the explosion. He was the last Marine to raise the United States flag in Afghanistan in honor of his fallen Marines.
Gettys Supports Red Ribbon Week
Perfect Scores on SC Ready Recognized
Spirit Week December 12-16
8th Grade Families
Safety First at Arrival and Dismissal Times
Our basketball season is launching and it is time to secure your tickets for the big game and you can purchase them online in advance of the event.
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- 11/28 to 12/2 English teachers window for giving Winter MAP
- 12/5 to 12/9 Math teachers window for giving Winter MAP
- 12/5 Boys Bball (A) at Seneca 5:30
- 12/5 Girls Bball (H) vs Seneca 6:00 pm
- 12/6 PCVA Reading Winter MAP
- 12/6 Winter String Orchestra Concert at EHS auditorium. 6th grade at 6:00 p.m, 7th grade at 6:30 p.m, 8th grade at 7:00 p.m.
- 12/7 PCVA Math Winter MAP
- 12/8 Boys Bball (A) at Robert Anderson 6:00 pm
- 12/8 Chorus Winter Concert at Easley First Baptist Church 7:30 pm
- 12/12 Girls Bball (A) vs Glenview 5:30
- 12/12 Boys Bball (H) vs Glenview 5:30
- 12/13 Band Concert at EHS auditorium 6:30 pm
- 12/15 Boys Bball (A) at McCants 5:30
- 12/15 Girls Bball (H) vs McCants 6:00
- 12/16 Half-Day Dismissal. SDPC middle schools dismiss at 11:45 am
- 1/3 Classes Resume from Winter Holiday
It is important that all families sign up for Schoology on their computer or the app for their phones. You can have access to daily grades, upcoming assignments and information from teachers. This is a great resource!