Mr. Nielsen's Wildcat Newsletter
Weekly Madrona News: May 22, 2022
- Make sure and bring your Chromebook and Headphones (if you have them) to school
- Make sure your Chromebook is fully charged
- Chromebooks will be available in testing locations for students who have used personal devices and have not been issued a school Chromebook.
- Breakfast will be served at 7:45am in the cafeteria.
- Class begins at 8am.
- Dismissal is at 12:54.
- Lunch and enrichment are available from 12:54-2:57 for students interested in staying on campus.
Please work hard and do your best!
Modified Schedule for State Testing
- To help students focus, our schedule will be modified. See details below.
- Breakfast will be available from 7:45am-8am in the cafeteria on testing schedule days.
- During each of the testing days, optional enrichment activities will be offered to our students in the afternoon.
- Families will be able to choose whether students head home at 12:54 pm or stay on campus for enrichment. Here are the enrichment options available for students from 12:54pm-3pm. Lunch will be available at 12:54 until 1:40. Students who stay for enrichment will not be allowed to leave until 2:57pm unless picked up by a parent.
- Students will be able to rotate through the following enrichment stations.
Board Games - Outside Cafeteria
Clash of Clans Tourney - Outside Cafeteria
Spike Ball - Blacktop
Cornhole/Bags - Blacktop
Basketball - Blacktop
Volleyball - Blacktop
Madrona's Summer Enrichment
We are offering 4 independent enrichment opportunities. Each enrichment has its own sign up. You can sign up for more than one session (as long as it's not scheduled at the same time).
Summer Intro to Engineering & Drones - August 8th-12th, 8am-10am
- Instructor: Nancy Ton - Are you interested in coding simple games and apps? Do you want to fly a drone? If so, sign up for this summer enrichment program to get an introduction to engineering and drone flying. Students will work in teams and go through the engineering process to accomplish each task. Sign up now! Space is limited! Click here to sign up.
Summer eSports - August 8th-12th, 10:15am-12:15am
- Instructor: Nancy Ton - Do you love playing games? Are you interested in joining Madrona's eSports team next year? If so, sign up for this summer enrichment program to perfect your gaming skills for Super Smash Bro and Mario Kart. Sign up now! Space is limited! Click here to sign up.
Summer Ironman/Woman Mania - August 8th-13th, two sessions 8am-10am or 10:15am-12:15am
- Instructor: Carolyn Keeney - Be the quickest, run the fastest, jump the highest, go the longest- brag for the rest of your life! Do you think you have what it takes to be the best all-around athlete at Madrona? Are you interested in how you stack up athletically against your classmates? Sign up for Irman/Woman Mania and see if you're number 1! At the very least, you'll be able to take your new found skills and use them to better yourself. See you on the field! Click here to sign up.
Intro to The Madrona Music Family - August 15th-18th, 10:15am-12:15am
- Instructor: Allison Snider - Do you enjoy making music with others? Come and join us for Madrona Music Family team building and merry making through music and games. No prior music experience is required. Click here to sign up.
Summer Board Games - August 15th-18th, two sessions 8am-10am or 10:15am-12:15am
- Instructor: Michele Bloomfield - Do you enjoy playing games with friends? Come hang out, meet new people, and compete in a variety of board games! Click here to sign up.
Reading Stats for May Week 2
- Everyone: 579,552 minutes-only 20,000 away from the 600,000 goal.
- Top class: Mrs. Young P3, 9,781 min
- Top Readers: Tyler Homma, 930 min, Rachel Shin 895 min, Icchya Neupane, 830 min
Way to go!
- Mrs. Ton: Congratulations to our eSport Mario Kart team, Sam Apodaca, Nolan Hess, Caleb Ho, Brandon Hsu, for placing second in the district eSport tournament. Way to go, guys! I’m proud of how far you’ve come and the hard work you’ve put into this season! Also, good luck this Friday to all my Robotics teams. They will be competing in the district Combat Bot Competition at Hull Middle School.
- Mr. H. Shout out to Cyan Newman and Aresha Akhtar for citizenship in Drama. It is appreciated!
- Mrs. Beukema: Mia K- Thank you for being so kind and helping translate for our new student. You are helping more than you know. I appreciate you and I know the new student does, too.
- Ms. Fu: Shout out to ALL of my students for persevering through this week, just two more days of testing!
- Mrs. Ton: Congratulations to the Madrona Robotics team (Logan Cole, Ioan Evans, Stanley Lin, and Reed Sandoval) for placing 4th in the TUSD Combat Bot competition. Way to go to all the other teams that competed. I’m so proud of you! Thank you to all the families that attended the event at Hull to support our teams.
Details for End of the Year 8th Grade Events
DANCE (Sponsored by PTSA)
Date: June 10, 2022 (Friday)
Location: Toyota Meeting Hall Banquet Room
3330 Civic Center Drive, Torrance Cultural Arts Center
Time: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Theme: Red Carpet, Hollywood Style
Finger Foods/Snacks/Deserts/Waters & Juices
Dress Code for BOTH the DANCE & PROMOTION CEREMONY:
As per all events: Madrona Dress Code Applies
- Attire Boys: Nice Slacks/Pants/Casual Suit (no Jeans) nice shirt, nice shoes
- Attire Girls: Nice dress, pants/blouse
- Dresses must be to the knee or lower
- No strapless dresses/tops
- Wedges/Flats only, NO spiked heels
PICNIC (Sponsored by PTSA)
Date: June 15, 2022 (Wednesday)
Location: Madrona Campus
Time: 10:30 am to 2:30 pm
Food, Music and Games will be provided by PTSA
Date: June 16, 2022 (Thursday)
Time: 3:30 pm
Location: Zamperini Stadium, 2125 Lincoln Ave, Torrance
Parking: Park in the aquatic center lot
Donations still being accepted with the flier Here (mail in or drop to office). Checks payable to Madrona PTSA and please write student's name under memo. Thank you for your consideration. No donation is too big or too small. Help us give our students a memorable 8th grade year.
For any questions or additional information, please send your inquiries to Judy Briggs at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Homework Club & Activities
HOMEWORK CLUB 3:10-4:00 PM-any Madrona student can drop in.
- Mondays: Room 14
- Tuesdays: Room 17
- Wednesdays: Room 25
- Thursdays: Room SC1
CLUBS and FUN Activities:
- Craft Club - All students welcome - in Room 4, Thursdays at lunch
- Chess Club - Wednesdays in Room 14 at lunch
- Ultimate Frisbee - Wednesdays at the field behind the gym
- Math Club-Thursdays in Room 24 afterschool
- Cinema Club-Thursdays and Fridays in Room 25 at lunch
- Art Club Fridays in Room 26 at lunch
- Lunch League 3-v-3 Basketball Tournament
- Music Club- Friday in Room 22 at lunch
- CJSF - 2nd Tuesday of every month in Room SC3 at lunch