AMMS Lions Roar
"Recognize the Roar"
Tuesday, February 16, 2021
Mr. Trey Martin, Principal
Dr. Mimi Gamel, 7th Grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Laurie Chans, 6th Grade Assistant Principal
School Governance Council Candidates Needed
It is time for the election of new members to our School Governance Council. The School Governance Council has both parent/guardian and teacher positions open for election. Parents or guardians of students who will be attending our school during both the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years are eligible to run for the parent/guardian SGC positions.
Our School Governance Council (SGC) plays a critical role in the success of our school. The SGC works with school leadership and the community to help determine the long-term direction of the school, design innovative solutions to increase academic achievement, and serve as school ambassadors to the local community. Specifically, the School Governance Council has the following powers:
- Create, approve, and monitor the implementation of the school strategic plan
- Manage the Request for Flexibility process
- Approve the annual budget recommendations and related allocations
- Participate in the hiring of the principal, in the case of a vacancy
- Provide annual feedback to the Area Superintendent on principal performance
If you are interested in running for a position on the School Governance Council, please complete and submit a Parent/Guardian Candidate Declaration Form.
We are very excited about the work and value-add of our SGC. We hope that you will consider running for a position! The Candidate Declaration period ends February 26th and voting occurs from March 17th – 24th, 2021. In the meantime, if you would like more information about the charter system or SGC elections visit our school’s website or our Charter System Overview.
Submit Fun Photos for the Yearbook
LAST CHANCE to submit your fun photos for the yearbook! We are looking for pictures of students with their families, pets, mask fashion, hobbies, favorite foods, digital school, seasonal photos, the great outdoors or any other photos of our wonderful students! We’d also love for students to submit a BITMOJI for the yearbook (school appropriate/no standing poses). Please upload all photos using the link here and if asked for an ID, enter: 415464602. It is also not too late to purchase using this link.
Contact Marisa Wesker (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions regarding the yearbook.
AMMS 2021 Spring Spirit Wear Now Available!
The link for our AMMS Spring 2021 spirit wear online store is now available! Sale continues through Monday, February 22nd.
AMMS PTA Reflections 2020-2021
Thank you to all of our creative and talented students who participated in the PTA Reflections program this year! Congratulations to the 6 winning artists whose entries advanced from North Fulton County to Georgia state level judging. We hope to announce the state winners by the end of March.
Grace Emily M. – 8th grade
Spoorthi K. – 6th grade
Divij M. – 8th grade
Tara P. – 8th grade
Reema S. – 7th grade
Chloe S. – 8th grade
Ava S. – 6th grade
Student Council Helping Essential Workers
Student Council needs your help to thank our healthcare workers at Grady Hospital. We ask that you bring in individually packaged snacks (pretzels, chip bags, granola etc.) to school to help student council create treat bags for essential workers. The items will be collected from February 16th- 24th each morning in the rotunda. Virtual students can drop off snacks at any time during school day.
AMMS Science Olympiad Congratulations!
Congratulations to AMMS Science Olympiad for placing 1st at the recent invitational competition hosted by Shorter University. The team has earned a 1st place trophy for our school's trophy case. The state competition is next month.
The students have done fabulously in their events, despite the unique challenges this academic year has presented. Way to go, Science Olympiad students!
Student COVID-19 Report Portal Updates
Updated Attendance Policy Recently Approved by FCS Board
How does my child get attendance credit for participating remotely if they are a Face-to-Face learner?
Visit http://ammslions.org for more information on Frequently Asked Questions regarding attendance.
Calling All Poets and Spoken Word Enthusiasts!
Apply now to present your poem focusing on our Black History Month theme, “celebrating representation, identity, and diversity” during our Black History Month Poetry Slam on February 19th. Those who are selected will read or perform during homeroom on a live Microsoft stream to celebrate Black History Month. This live event is open to all face-to-face and virtual students.
Fulton County Technology Competition
Registration is now open through March 7th for the virtual Fulton County Technology Competition!
Overview of the Competition
- This is a 100% virtual competition.
- All 3rd -12th grade Fulton County students are invited to enter a student created Technology Project that aligns with one of these CATEGORIES.
- Students may enter only ONE project. Projects may be submitted by an individual or up to two team members. Individuals and teams of two compete against each other.
- Projects are to be designed and created by students. Some adult guidance is allowed, but it must be clear that work entered by students was done by the students. Judges will expect students to demonstrate that the work is their own. This should not be a whole class assigned project.
- Read the category descriptions before you select your project category. No changes will be made after the project has been submitted. After that time, students’ projects will be judged based on the category for which they registered. Changes in category WILL NOT be made for any reason after submission. Projects will be judged by the category under which the project was submitted.
- Register here: https://fulton.stemwizard.com/
February 1 - February 28 - Student Registration
March 1 - March 7 - Project Submission Window
March 15 - March 29 - Judging Window
Our Autrey Mill Middle School liaison is Mrs. Bongiorno. Please reach out to her with any questions regarding the technology competition at email@example.com.
New School Year Calendars
In case you missed it, last month the School Board adopted calendars for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years. Monday, August 9, will be the first day of school for 2021-22, with the last day being May 26, the Thursday before Memorial Day.
Similarly, the first day of school for 2022-23 will be August 8 and the last day is May 25. Both calendars have dedicated time off for students and staff, including a week for Thanksgiving Break, two weeks for Winter Break, and one week for Spring Break. The approved calendars can be viewed here: 2021-2022 and 2022-2023.
Hardship Transfer Deadline is March 1, 2021
Hardship Transfer applications are available beginning Jan.1 for parents who wish to apply for a 2021-22 hardship transfer or to renew a current hardship to another Fulton elementary, middle or high school. Parents will use an online form to enter and submit their information.
ATTENDANCE for Second Semester - Please Read Carefully!
Second semester will revert to manual attendance for both: F2F Learning and Remote Learning.
- F2F Learning
- Attendance will be marked by period (same as always)– Present/Absent/Tardy
- Student must attend over ½ a day to count as present for the whole day.
- Submitting Absence Notes: A student that is absent still must submit a note from the parent within 5 days of their return to school. All notes should include student's full name, date of absence, reason for absence and Dr. note when possible.
- Remote Learning (most lessons are Synchronous-Live)
- Attendance will be marked by period.
- A student must be there for a “Live” lesson.
- The teacher will take roll within the first five minutes of class.
- If the teachers believe that the students logged in but did not stay/participate, then the teacher can remove the participation check.
- Submitting Absence Notes: A student that is absent still must submit an email within 5 days. Parents should email Ms. Pieper at firstname.lastname@example.org. The following information should be included: student full name, grade, date of absence, reason for absence and period or periods absent. You can attach a Dr. note to the email for our records.
If a lesson is Asynchronous, then the student is required to submit an assignment to be marked Participated.