By Jenna Ronken
Date of Birth & Death
- Karen Horney was born in 1885 in Germany.
- She died in 1952 in New York City at the age of 67.
- Karen graduated from the University of Berlin where she earned her medical degree.
- She later married and had three children.
- Eventually she moved to the US with her family.
Contribution to Psychology
- Karen challenged male bias in Freud's psychoanalytic theory and proposed a socialcultural approach.
- She founded feminist psychology which focuses on social structures and gender.
- She also made significant contributions to humanism and psychoanalysis (system of psychological theory that aims at treating mental disorders).