Learn about the wonderful Colosseum
What was the Colosseum?
When did the building process begin and end?
Why was the Colosseum built?
The picture below is what the colosseum used to look like.
What was a Gladiator event?
Gladiator games began in Rome over three centuries before the Collosseum was built. The size of the games grew over time to several hundred gladiators fighting at once during the height of the Roman Empire. During these events, slaves and prisoners of war fought with each other and animals as entertainment for spectators.
5 fun facts about gladiator events.
- Women also fought as Gladiators.
- They only rarely fought animals.
- The famous "thumbs down" didn't always mean death.
- They weren't always slaves.
- They didn't always fight to the death.