Monte the Tiger's Weekly Update
News from Buena Vista Montessori ~ Friday, August 27, 2021
Hello Tiger Families!
We have had another wonderful week here at Buena Vista.
It has been such a joy to watch teachers and students develop classroom communities that foster children’s natural desire for independence, responsibility, and competence. These elements are nurtured in all of our specials classes. Students enjoy Physical Education, Art, and Music education at Buena Vista.
Check in with your student and ask what they have been learning in their specials classes!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Please read this entire update for important information!
- Maria Montessori's 151st Birthday
- PTA Meeting at the Tables in the Big Playground - 2:40pm
Monday, September 6th
- No School / School Closed in Honor of Labor Day
Tuesday, September 7th
- After School Clubs Start
Tuesday, September 14th
- School Accountability Meeting - details TBD
Happy Birthday to Maria Montessori!
"Times have changed, and science has made great progress, and so has our work; but our principles have only been confirmed, and along with them our conviction that mankind can hope for a solutions to its problems, among which the most urgent are those of peace and unity, only by turning its attention and energies to the discovery of the child and to the development of the great potentialities of the human personality in the course of its formation." - Maria Montessori
Please visit https://montessori150.org for more information and great ways to celebrate Dr. Montessori!
School Highlight - Primary
Running Club is Starting!
Children will practice distance running skills and show them off in a "cross-country" style meet once-per-week throughout the month of September!
News from the Kitchen
Please note that if children bring their lunch from home, they are welcome to purchase 2% Milk for $0.65 or Chocolate Milk (as available) for $0.75. Milk is only free as an accompaniment to a school lunch.
Buena Vista is Hiring!
Currently, we are in need of a Primary Classroom Assistant, Health Technician, and School Counselor.
If interested in the Primary Classroom Assistant position, please follow the instructions below to learn more about and apply for the position.
- Click on External Candidates Click Here to Apply
- Search for Buena Vista
- Click on Early Childhood Educational Assistant - Special Education
If interested in the School Counselor position, please follow the instructions below to learn more about and apply for the position.
- Click on External Candidates Click Here to Apply
- Search for Buena Vista
- Elementary School Counselor
If interested in the Health Technician position, please reach out to Ms. Karen B. in the office for more details. email@example.com or 328-4100
From Ms. Marni's Desk
Welcome to Seesaw Family!
We are very excited to expand the use of Seesaw and share our Montessori manipulative works with you at home! This year we are able to launch a fantastic part of Seesaw, Seesaw Family!
Seesaw Family is the “parent” app to Seesaw Class that allows you as a parent or guardian to see the work your child is posting to Seesaw in school and comment on it! Students will be able to see your comments on their work.
Seesaw Family can be downloaded as an app on Android and Apple devices or accessed on a device using the web address, app.seesaw.me. Your child’s teacher will be sending you an invitation shortly via email or a QR code in your child’s Friday Folder.
If you have any questions about downloading Seesaw Family please reach out to Ms. Marni at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see your child’s Friday Folder for a flyer with more information on Seesaw Family!
You are cordially invited to join a very important committee!!
D11 needs your help to ensure that the vision and mission of Buena Vista Elementary are held within the standards of District 11 and that the teachers and staff of Buena Vista uphold the District 11 expectations for the education of all children.
Please plan to join the School Accountability Committee and hold our teachers and staff accountable to the children's educational needs and the district's expectations.
The first meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 14th in the evening by WebEx. Please watch for more details!
If you have any questions, please reach out to the committee chair, Vicky McLaughlin, at email@example.com.
News from Your PTA
School Spirit Gear
We have plenty of kids sized Buena Vista logo face masks available for purchase in our PTA store. https://bvmontessori.new.memberhub.store/store
Mason Jars & Water Bottles
We also have stainless steel, 25oz water bottles that measure 3"x10" and feature a screw-on lid and double wall vacuum insulation to keep drinks at optimal temperatures. Get your water bottle for $18!
Additionally, we have 4.5oz farmhouse style mason jar mugs. Perfect for small servings and little hands! The mini mugs are $6.50 each or 4 for $24.
Please contact the PTA at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase! Cash or check is preferred and they can be picked up before or after school at your convenience.
Easy Ways to Help Out the BV PTA
To enroll your Loyalty Card with BV:
- Log on to www.kingsoopers.com/communityrewards and click "Enroll Now" to sign in to your account. If you have never used your Loyalty Card online before you will have to create an account. You will need an e-mail and your Loyalty Card number or your alternate ID (often your phone#).
- Find Buena Vista Montessori School (programs are listed alphabetically) or use our Code: UQ795 as the program you want to support!
- You are DONE! THAT'S IT! Now whenever you shop you are earning BV PTA money!
- This program is a big "Free Money" maker that helps to fund many great BV and PTA events and equipment.
Sign up to support the BV PTA through AmazonSmile.
- You can select Buena Vista Montessori PTA as your charity recipient when you shop online at amazonsmile.com.
- AmazonSmile is also now available in the app on your Apple or Android devices. You can set this up in the app under "Settings">"Programs & Features".
- If you shop for girts on Amazon, this is an easy way for you to support our students and school.
- Be sure to ask your friends and family to select BV on AmazonSmile, as well.
News from the Health Room
My Child is Not Feeling Well. Now What?
The list below refers only to new symptom or a change in usual symptoms. A student should not be kept home for usual symptoms they experience due to a chronic condition unless they are worse than usual. These guidelines are in additional to your regular school guidance (for example, a student with vomiting symptoms should also not attend school based on usual school guidance).
If you student is experiencing any potentially life-threatening symptoms, please call 911.
If any of the following symptoms are present, keep the child at home / stay at home. Inform Ms. Karen B. in the office via phone call (719-328-4100) or email email@example.com.
- Feeling feverish, having chills, or temperature of 100.4F or higher.
- New or unexplained persistent cough.
- Shortness of breath.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Loss of taste or smell.
- Muscle aches.
- Sore throat.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Runny nose or congestion.
COVID Protocol Updates
These updates are current as of 2:00pm on Friday, August 6th. Should the protocols change, the district and our school will notify all community members as soon as possible.
- For students of any age, and staff riding D11 buses for any purpose (e.g., to and from school, activities, field trips, etc.), in alignment with the Federal mandate, face coverings on all D11 buses are required.
- For students ages 11 and under, in alignment with local and state guidance, face coverings are strongly encouraged while learning indoors, but are not required.
- For students/staff ages 12 and over, in alignment with local and state guidance, face coverings are strongly encouraged for anyone who is 12+ years and not fully vaccinated but are not required.
- We honor and respect the decisions of parents and staff when it comes to facial coverings, whether wearing one or not. As a district, our schools and central administration offices are expected to be welcoming and supportive of everyone and we will uphold a positive culture throughout the District. Should mask mandates be put back in place by state or local public health agencies, we will communicate that information. Please be informed about vaccinations and safety protocols so we can keep students in class as much as possible this year.
- We will continue with our diligent handwashing and sanitzing efforts throughout the school day. Including, but not limited to; after recess, before and after lunch, before and after specials, etc.
- Our children and staff will continue to clean and sanitize the classrooms daily. Our custodial staff will clean and sanitize the building and playgrounds daily, as well.
- The current guidelines indicate a three-foot space between each person. We will do our best to honor that guideline throughout the school day. However, due to the structure of our learning community, the social distancing is not always possible.
For additional resources and information from the State and local health agencies, please visit the following links:
Updated Return to Learn
Who Needs to Quarantine
At Home Symptom Screening Tool
Addressing Symptoms as School
Student Medication: If your child needs to have medication at school, which will be securely stored in the school health room, please let the office know and they will provide you with the proper form. A signed doctor’s order, including a parent’s signature, are required to have any medication at school, prescription and over-the-counter (including cough drops, cold medications, antacids, and more).